Have you ever been mistaken for a store employee while shopping?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Post your interesting story...

I was once in a Fry's near Palo Alto, and a guy mistook me for a store employee. Started asking me all sorts of questions about a cable for his PC, and as I was helping out, I noticed that a couple of other people were waiting behind him to ask questions. I thought it was amusing, so I went on helping out. In any case, the guys in the store completely ignored me, even though they passed by a couple of times. I never did mention that I didn't work at the store, but hey, why not?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Yes. I hate it but I feel bad about being rude so either I point them in the right direction or politely say I don't work here.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
many hundreds of thousands of times, primarily because I meander up and down the aisles with a look of disgust on my face when I'm at a computer-related store. Little do they know that it's not a disgust for working retail, it's a disgust for the goddamned prices.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
All the time, an all sorts of stores. It can get annoying at times. I was offered jobs when it happened at 2 different stores. No joke.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
no. Probably because I dress like I steal my clothes from a blind hobo, who despite being blind, put up a good fight.

Aug 23, 2000
I've never been mistaken as an employee, but I'll help someone that looks confused or if a salesman is telling them a load of crap, I'll step in and correct them. I had a manager of a store tell me to stop it so i told him that if it is what he wanted i would, but I would call a local TV station and tell them that his store policy was to lie to customers.

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
i once got asked to leave Computer City which is now CompUSA
cause someone asked me what PC they should get and i convinced them to buy one from me instead :)
hehehehe

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I was never confused for an employee, but once a few years ago at CompUSSR, someone was asking about a CD-Burner to the employee, and because it was a B&M store, prices were disgusting, so I butted in, in the most polite way possible, and gave told her about newegg. She then proceeded to leave the store after I told her at the time how much cheaper newegg was than CompUSSR.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Yes.

I look like Peter North so girls always ask me if they can be in my movies.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I don't browse very much, so no. When I go in a store I have a purpose: find what I'm looking for and get out.

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
I've had the opposite happen to me....sorta. I was at work one day(Blockbuster) and was standing behind the counter at one of the computers. I had a Blockbuster shirt on and someone walked up to the other side of the counter and asked "Do you work here?" I would've thought it would be obvious....but....apparently I was wrong.

jc

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
I get that quite a lot.

Computer stores I can understand because I take my friends there and help them buy stuff, but it also happens in clothing shops....especially when the GF is trying on stuff. I have that "stand and watch the entire shop" type of look when I am waiting, so people tend to think that I am an employee there.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I think next time I have that happen I'm going to say "No, but for $50 you can have a half hour of my time to help you find what you're looking for." :p