Have you ever been asked to show your high school diploma to apply/interview/accept a job?

Have you ever been asked to show your high school diploma to apply/interview/accept a job?

• Yes, more than once

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No.

Votes: 20 87.0%

• Total voters

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
I see alot of employers to this day list High School Diploma as a requirement for many jobs, and there is a huge push to get non-graduates in adult education for a GED and apparently it can get expensive.

But I have to wonder what the big deal is. Not suggesting that kids should just drop out, but if your reason for getting one is better employment (without college aspirations), I think it's a waste of time.
I'm 34 now, and I have never once had to produce my High School Diploma. I even used to bring it with me back when I applied for non-skilled positions. I remember years ago, I had a job interview that explicitly stated "HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA REQUIRED" in the AD, and I had it ready to show my interviewers and they just chuckled and said " eh we don't need to see that". Infact, I graduated one year early so I was 17 when I started my first full time job (which was not fast food), and even they didn't ask to see it. I thought for sure the question "why am I not in school?" would come up.
The jobs I apply for now require some kind of credentials, a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience so it would be expected that if you have these things that you would already have a High School Education so I can understand why nobody asks these days.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but it just makes me wonder if any of the people who spent all that money and time on GEDs, prep tests, etc. ever think it was just a waste of time. But then again, I'm also wondering if anybody's permanent High School record ever had a lasting effect on the outcome of somebody's life.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes...more than 40 years ago. I didn't have one...but they accepted my GED in its place.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
High school diploma? Is that A levels in the UK? You said you graduated at 17 so it can't be a university degree. In the UK it depends if you apply for labour jobs like warehouse pickers you don't even need to show them anything, they just tell you to bring passport and your ready to go lol. (I know someone) If you apply for main stream jobs then ofc they ask again depend on the person who is interviewing you I guess. However from my experience they just ask you what GCSEs you have and they somewhat beleive you and jobs I apply they ask for my degree. All depends what job and person I guess. Qualification is usefulness but work experience is key.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, even though they had a copy of my DD214 and knew I'd been thru the Advanced Electronics Program.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Never. I have both a GED and a high school diploma. I went to a place called Job Corp where I first got the GED and latter the HS diploma. So I just list the HS diploma. Be stupid to list the GED, although, I must admit that the GED was a hell of a lot harder to get and if it weren't for my science score being so high I would have bombed the damn thing. It's all about how you answer the questions. There's like 5 multiple choice questions and 4 answers that seem right.

Feb 25, 2011
No. If I say I have it, nobody has ever questioned the assertion.

I have had to submit college transcripts, but nobody ever seems interested in discussing them; I suspect they're just so HR can verify that a degree was awarded.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Not even the college I graduated from asked for a high school diploma.

I technically didn't graduate from high school, got kicked out with a month to go, went to the public school down the street to finish up but neither of them would give me a diploma.