Have you driven the new Accord?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: halik

I like the accord, great car, good reliability etc. That eing said, the car is FUGLY. Look at the lines of it:
Text

Hood ends nowhere, TSX-like side crease that starts out of nowhere and ends the same way, the clusterfuck they want to call front bumper with surfaces everywhere and it's finished off with a grille that follows no lines at all. Bravo!

Compare that to the concept:
Text

Yeah, I understand you don't like it. You've made that quite clear. I'm saying just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't.

For such a "fugly" car, I get an awful lot of compliments on it.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
There's a reason the Accord made Car and Driver's Ten Best list for like the gazillionth time in a row, challenged only by the BMW 3-series for staying power in those awards. If all you care about is "road noise," go buy yourself a nice Buick or Camry. If all you care about is fun, buy an Altima. But if you need the most well-rounded do-it-all compromise car, look no further than the Accord. They are total-package cars that rarely lead the class in any given category, but the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I actually just purchased a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L sedan 4cylinder non-nav for $24,800 "out the door". This was the final price with everything. I think I could've dropped a few more hundred down but I was ready to get it over with. Did I do decent?
Invoice is roughly $23,400... tax itself was around $800

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: fritolays
I actually just purchased a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L sedan 4cylinder non-nav for $24,800 "out the door". This was the final price with everything. I think I could've dropped a few more hundred down but I was ready to get it over with. Did I do decent?
Invoice is roughly $23,400... tax itself was around $800

DriveAccord.net is your friend

Yeah that's pretty good. On par with what I got. I've never heard of someone getting one below invoice, so 23400 (invoice) + 800 tax + 500 tags/destination = 24700. You paid ~$100 over invoice.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: stash
TL is not based on the European Accord
TSX is based on the European Accord

D'oh! Not sure what I was thinking.

Did you get a load of the new '09 TL? It might be a contender with that 3.5L and SH-AWD.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
not a fan of the 08 sedan in terms of looks. 8th gen and 7th gen coupes are mighty sexy!

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
It's subjective. I happen to think both versions (sedan and coupe) are very sharp and elegant looking cars.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: thecritic
The road noise is atrocious.

I was looking for a quiet car, I I thought it was ok. Where did you get the numbers? I would love to find a web site that has interior noise comparisons.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
If it's anything like the previous generation (2007) Accord then yes ... and it's uninspired at best.

The only other car that I've ever driven that put me to sleep faster was the Sonata.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: Shawn
I agree. I hated the previous generation Accord, but this one is gorgeous. I never even considered an Accord until now.
I threw up a little.

Agreed. There is no accounting for taste.

What the hell were the Honda designers smoking when they designed this thing?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: dud

I don't know, but apparently I'm smoking it, too. Puff puff pass, bitches.

nightowl

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: glen
It reminds me of the BMW 3 series.
The ride is quiet and smooth, yet the car has unbelievable response.
I really want a cheaper car with better gas milage, but the accord is so nice, I may just get one.

I just drove an '08 Accord for 3 days and it was nothing like a BMW 3 series. While it drove nicely the crispness was not there and it rattled like crazy. It is just not in the same class as a 3 series.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: stash
TL is not based on the European Accord
TSX is based on the European Accord

D'oh! Not sure what I was thinking.

Did you get a load of the new '09 TL? It might be a contender with that 3.5L and SH-AWD.

Yeah, but it looks like it's going to have a similar fugly (IMHO) design as the new TSX

http://www.motortrend.com/futu...ra_tl_spied/index.html

The new front ends on the Acuras are terrible.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I owned an '03 Accord V6 and test drove an '08 V6 sedan and it felt like a mild evolutionary improvement. The added weight seems to cancel out the added power. I now own a 3 series and the Accord is no BMW. It's a fine car though and the new coupes do look great.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dud
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: Shawn
I agree. I hated the previous generation Accord, but this one is gorgeous. I never even considered an Accord until now.
I threw up a little.

Agreed. There is no accounting for taste.

One of the engineers did this and the rest of them said "That's our new design inspiration!"

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: thecritic
The road noise is atrocious.
For the most part, only the tires are loud. Read the reviews for the OEM tires on tirerack. They have like a 1/10 (slight exaggeration) for noise comfort.
The fuel economy on the V6 is no longer class leading according to real-world tests.
If I put a little bit of effort into it, I get 28MPG mixed.
The timing belt job at 105k costs $800.
BS, timing belts don't cost that much
The VCM can be annoying. On some units it is very noticeable, on others it is not.
Certainly don't notice it on mine.
0-60 and 1/4 mile times are weaker than the competition.
The V6 coupe with the 6 speed is actually quite fast. As for the automatics/sedans, who cares? It's good enough for getting on the interstate and passing in a hurry.
Still, it's a strong competitor. The styling is excellent and the interior design and fit/finish is outstanding. The rear seats also fold down, unlike the mid and upper trims of the Camry. In addition, stability control is standard, which is a major plus.
I agree. It also handles well for it's size/class.
I have ridden in one but haven't driven one, but I'm going to go and test drive one next week before I make up my mind.

I love my 08 Accord :thumbsup:

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Chunkee
Originally posted by: evident
win
win
win :)

7th gen coupe = sexy + 31 mpg for a 70 mile highway commute + leather heated seats = yesssssssss

Your middle name is Guthram

uh what is that.... ?

actually one thing that i hate about my car is that it is so aftermarket unfriendly when it comes to stereos. the damn 6 disc cd player is from the 90's as it can't even play mp3s or have an aux jack. good thing i have satellite radio though. this is all solved in the 8th gen accords though

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mb
If I put a little bit of effort into it, I get 28MPG mixed.
Of course, everyone's driving profile will be different. Under controlled tests, the Accord V6's fuel economy is not class leading. An example of this would be with Consumer Reports' "overall mileage" test. The Camry V6 attained 23 mpg overall, while the Accord V6 only attained 21 mpg. Under the highway test, the Camry V6 got 32 mpg, while the Accord V6 only got 30 mpg.

Originally posted by: mbThe timing belt job at 105k costs $800.
BS, timing belts don't cost that much
On the recent Accords and TLs, timing belt replacement was about 4.5 hours flat rate. The water pump added another 0.5. That's already 5 hours of labor at a minimum of $100/hr. A new timing belt, OE water pump, two drive belts and two gallons of Honda Type II will run you about $250 with shop mark-up. Then you have to count in any other parts that need to be replaced during the timing belt job. A friend of mine is an Acura tech, and he said probably 1 in 3 of those hydraulic tensioners are found to be leaking upon removal. You wouldn't want the tensioner to fail on this design, as it's interference. Replacing the tensioner adds another $100 to the bill. Now, you're already at $850.

This doesn't even include the valve adjustment. Honda says to adjust only if noisy, but many of these engines could use an adjustment at 105k. That adds another 2.7 hours plus a valve gasket kit.

Originally posted by: mbThe V6 coupe with the 6 speed is actually quite fast. As for the automatics/sedans, who cares? It's good enough for getting on the interstate and passing in a hurry.
0-60 times on the Accord V6 automatic are about 0.5 to 1 second slower than the Camry V6. Who cares? Well, if I was guzzling the same amount of fuel, I'd expect the same performance.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
auto v6 for auto v6, yes the camry is faster. But accord V6 6MT will be just as fast if not faster.
besides, while we are trash talking accord for the camry, why don't you mention something about the camry's crappy four cylinder which has up to 35 HP deficit to the accord.

btw, keep apples to apples, timing chains do not mean your car's water pump, accessory belt and coolant lasts forever. I don't like timing belts either but this is fallacious.