Have you driven the new Accord?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
It reminds me of the BMW 3 series.
The ride is quiet and smooth, yet the car has unbelievable response.
I really want a cheaper car with better gas milage, but the accord is so nice, I may just get one.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: glen
I really want a cheaper car with better gas milage, but the accord is so nice, I may just get one.

I havent driven it, but I definetly love the way it looks. I bought a 2008 CRV earlier this year because I needed AWD and cargo room and something fuel efficient. If I was in the market for a sedan though, I would have definetly purchased the new Accord.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

I havent driven it, but I definetly love the way it looks. I bought a 2008 CRV earlier this year because I needed AWD and cargo room and something fuel efficient. If I was in the market for a sedan though, I would have definetly purchased the new Accord.

I agree. I hated the previous generation Accord, but this one is gorgeous. I never even considered an Accord until now.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I guess I'm in the minority as usual, I think the new Accord, especially the coupe looks like a Hyundai and thus not to my liking.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe
I guess I'm in the minority as usual, I think the new Accord, especially the coupe looks like a Hyundai and thus not to my liking.

The bubble headlights remind me of a corpse that has been in the water for a few days.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
I think it's mostly the pedestrian safety regulations that are screwing with the front-end design of cars. Raising the noses and corners up.

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
The road noise is atrocious.

The fuel economy on the V6 is no longer class leading according to real-world tests.

The timing belt job at 105k costs $800.

The VCM can be annoying. On some units it is very noticeable, on others it is not.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times are weaker than the competition.

Still, it's a strong competitor. The styling is excellent and the interior design and fit/finish is outstanding. The rear seats also fold down, unlike the mid and upper trims of the Camry. In addition, stability control is standard, which is a major plus.

I have ridden in one but haven't driven one, but I'm going to go and test drive one next week before I make up my mind.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The ones I've seen around here look truly excellent, definitely a step above previous Accords, and dare I say it, a step above Acura's vaunted TL (granted, the TL is due for imminent replacement).

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
they are noisy...too noisy for me...going down the hiway i was surprised at all the noise. civic is quieter. check the real world mileage on them also. fit and finish okay i guess..nothing earth shattering. bout like the altima. camry is much quieter, and okay to drive...exterior is allirght, but interior will put you to sleep...new sonata...big improvement...talk about fit and finish...nice quality pieces on the inside. about same price i guess; but with more of the creature comforts...i hate that honda price pointed the bluetooth with the Navigation... boooo

jC

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
I've got a black 08 Coupe V6. I've had several people ask me if it was a BMW, which doesn't make any sense to me.

And no, nobody has ever said it looks like a Hyundai.

I will admit that I don't like the sedan nearly as much. Those headlights and taillights poking out really ruin it for me.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkaign
The ones I've seen around here look truly excellent, definitely a step above previous Accords, and dare I say it, a step above Acura's vaunted TL (granted, the TL is due for imminent replacement).
The TL has already been replaced, and is based as usual on the European version of the Accord. So the new model is based on the new Accord.

I drove an 08 coupe (I have a 06 coupe now) and definitely felt the handling and power were improved over mine. The handling was the biggest improvement, the power was already great on my car.

The exterior styling is really nice, much better than the four door Accord (no bulging headlamps). But WTF did they do to the interior. No more touch screen navi, and a hideous dash with buttons, buttons and more buttons.

So unfortunately, since I spend much more time inside the car than admiring the outside, Honda won't be getting my business this time around (in addition to the 06 coupe, I've had an 03 coupe and a 92 four door).

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn

I agree. I hated the previous generation Accord, but this one is gorgeous. I never even considered an Accord until now.

You're esthetically challenged... the new Accord is fugly. Whoever came up with that grill needs to be hanged by gonads.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: halik

You're esthetically challenged... the new Accord is fugly. Whoever came up with that grill needs to be hanged by gonads.

everyone has different tastes

we know you like your cars straight hood yo

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: stash
Originally posted by: Arkaign
The TL has already been replaced, and is based as usual on the European version of the Accord. So the new model is based on the new Accord.

I drove an 08 coupe (I have a 06 coupe now) and definitely felt the handling and power were improved over mine. The handling was the biggest improvement, the power was already great on my car.

The exterior styling is really nice, much better than the four door Accord (no bulging headlamps). But WTF did they do to the interior. No more touch screen navi, and a hideous dash with buttons, buttons and more buttons.

So unfortunately, since I spend much more time inside the car than admiring the outside, Honda won't be getting my business this time around (in addition to the 06 coupe, I've had an 03 coupe and a 92 four door).

Um, I thought the '08s were slightly updated on the same '04-'07 setup?

*search*

Yes, I'm right :

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/review.html

The current-generation TL was introduced as a 2004 model.

The actual platform changeover is due this fall, bringing significant changes!

http://jalopnik.com/365647/200...m-the-new-tl-tl-type+s

Feb 10, 2000
I know aesthetics are a personal thing, but I find it really strange to hear anyone use the word "gorgeous" to refer to the new Accord. I can't imagine that even its designers would say it's gorgeous. To me it's a strange amalgam of bits of other cars, and has looks that are inoffensive at best and fugly at worst.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I like the Accord, if only Honda made the Civic like that instead of the spaceship design we got now.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

It's not a matter of taste, it's esthetics. The new accord along with the new TSX has got aweful front ends. Especially the TSX...

Straight hood look would need 100% more chrome;)

Last edited:

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
TL is not based on the European Accord
TSX is based on the European Accord

Anyways I loved the 2006 2007 Accord Sedan/Coupe personally.

KDKPSJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by: stash

Guess you confused with TSX, which is Euro Accord in the rest of the world.

TL is upgraded Accord V6, which is only sold in US market. (Just like Lexus ES, which is upgraded Camry) So yes, new TL ('09) will be based on new-gen Accord.

New front end design is part of Honda's effort to set the family-look, which follows RDX/MDX front end design. So, if you don't like the front end of Accord or TSX, blame the success of RDX and MDX, lol.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004

It's not a matter of taste, it's esthetics. The new accord along with the new TSX has got aweful front ends. Especially the TSX...

you mean Aesthetics right? ;)

that being said, I happen to like the new Accord as well and have considered getting rid of my ES300 for one.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: m0mentary

you mean Aesthetics right? ;)

that being said, I happen to like the new Accord as well and have considered getting rid of my ES300 for one.
right back at ya ;)

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001

Aesthetics is a matter of opinion.

It's like one person thinks Angelina Jolie is sexy, and another disagrees. Neither are right. Neither are wrong.

You don't like the Accord. That's fine. But claiming you don't like it because it is in FACT not aesthetically pleasing is just plain recockulous.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: shocksyde

Aesthetics is a matter of opinion.

It's like one person thinks Angelina Jolie is sexy, and another disagrees. Neither are right. Neither are wrong.

You don't like the Accord. That's fine. But claiming you don't like it because it is in FACT not aesthetically pleasing is just plain recockulous.

I like the accord, great car, good reliability etc. That eing said, the car is FUGLY. Look at the lines of it:
Text

Hood ends nowhere, TSX-like side crease that starts out of nowhere and ends the same way, the clusterfuck they want to call front bumper with surfaces everywhere and it's finished off with a grille that follows no lines at all. Bravo!

Compare that to the concept:
Text

Last edited: