Have there been any reports of those in uniform refusing to go for childcare reasons, etc?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't seen anything in the press, but I wondered if that issue came up again, particularly in mil-mil couples. I remember reading that it was a problem for some people in the first Gulf War who refused to ship out and leave their children. Any COs?

No commentary, just wondering if anyone has heard anything.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
If you can go AWOL to do some coke for a year, I am sure caring for children is no problem.
But I wouldn't try it unless your daddy is the director of CIA.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
If you can go AWOL to do some coke for a year, I am sure caring for children is no problem.

Better watch out! I think I hear the Bush fanboys coming!

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
There is one military couple I know of in my area that both shipped out. The husband's parents are caring for the children. You are supposed to sign an agreement with the military to have a guardian take responsibility for the children in the event both are deployed. There are always those who try to get exceptions, for that and other ways as well.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Saw it on the local LA news . . . a US military (army?) man refused to go to Iraq because of a "family problem" with his pregnant wife. He took a discharge (I think). I think there was a female officer with a similar problem . . . just don't ask me for links (its been awhile).

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

When was the last time you wore a uniform? If you want to critisize, even dishonestly, anyone who has served, I would expect that you have done the same. Please, enlighten us.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

Haha, Bush has as much military credibility as Judge Judy. Honesly now, pro-Bush guys, do you think this guy would have been elected president if it wasn't for his daddy? Forget that, he wouldn't have even made it to gevernor of Texas. It's all about the name.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There was a female Marine who refused to go. Her husband had already been deployed and nobody would be able to take care of their baby. She accepted the discharge.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

Haha, Bush has as much military credibility as Judge Judy. Honesly now, pro-Bush guys, do you think this guy would have been elected president if it wasn't for his daddy? Forget that, he wouldn't have even made it to gevernor of Texas. It's all about the name.

You liberals never fail to amaze me. Here was a thread related to military personnel have hardships because of their child-care situations and you end up bringing up president Bush. Sheesh. :(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
There was a female Marine who refused to go. Her husband had already been deployed and nobody would be able to take care of their baby. She accepted the discharge.
Your memory of the details is better than mine . . . I remember this also from a LA station.

:)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Wrong it's all about getting the right people to fund you and nominate you for whatever political seat you seek. Yes this family has VERY powerful freinds and I would'nt be surprised to see Jeb as the nomination in 08'. Unless you are a freind I can't see anyone supporting him though.

-Right now the "rich" are about the only ones who can afford a tax increase yet the President's tax cut goes disprortionally to those who need it the least.
-We are pissing away my kids furture running 500 BILLION DOLLAR deficiets (living in the moment, unwilling to sacrifce)
-a social security time bomb is looming
-a pension plan time bomb too
-balance of trade is way out of wack
-which is loosing tons of jobs to dictictorial thrid world counties
-a ton of bad loans to Brazil, Argentina, etc, that will never get paid
-a housing time bomb
-a terrorist time bomb, just a matter of time before a nuke goes critical in a major city (you only need around 120 lbs of material and Russians were busted all the time and still are for bringing grams at a time from reactors in that county)

Sorry just had to vent about issues that seem to have been on the back burner too long.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Carbonyl

Wrong it's all about getting the right people to fund you and nominate you for whatever political seat you seek. Yes this family has VERY powerful freinds and I would'nt be surprised to see Jeb as the nomination in 08'. Unless you are a freind I can't see anyone supporting him though.

-Right now the "rich" are about the only ones who can afford a tax increase yet the President's tax cut goes disprortionally to those who need it the least.
-We are pissing away my kids furture running 500 BILLION DOLLAR deficiets (living in the moment, unwilling to sacrifce)
-a housing time bomb
-a terrorist time bomb, just a matter of time before a nuke goes critical in a major city (you only need around 120 lbs of material and Russians were busted all the time and still are for bringing grams at a time from reactors in that county)

Sorry just had to vent about issues that seem to have been on the back burner too long.

So what your saying is to elect a Demacrat to increase taxes so we don't take home as much money? Just a ? not trying to start a war
;). In regards to your post about the rich are you referring to capitol gains? I am not rich by any means significantly less than 6 figures but the capitol gains double tax has prevented me from selling stock that would make my families life much easier in these times (caused by Clinton). And lets not start on the Marriage tax.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
You can elect jack the ripper for all I care, as long as these issues are seriously addressed and resolved instead of the opposite which is happening under pollitical whores in DC and the state capitals.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Is it just me or should she be criminally prosecuted? That situation directly impacts unit readiness and is inexcusable. In the era of political correctness, however, I'm sure she was given an honorable discharge.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: AndrewR

Is it just me or should she be criminally prosecuted? That situation directly impacts unit readiness and is inexcusable. In the era of political correctness, however, I'm sure she was given an honorable discharge.

Single parents or dual .mil parents when being assigned to a deployable unit have to sign an agreement saying that they are "world wide deployable". What this means is that they have suitable means to care for their children. If they cannot or will not sign this agreement, a discharge is an option.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

Single parents or dual .mil parents when being assigned to a deployable unit have to sign an agreement saying that they are "world wide deployable". What this means is that they have suitable means to care for their children. If they cannot or will not sign this agreement, a discharge is an option.

What happens if they sign the agreement and then fail to comply with it? Still a discharge?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

What happens if they sign the agreement and then fail to comply with it? Still a discharge?

It is normally left up to the discretion of the CO but that appears to be the outcome in most cases. Path of least resistance, I guess.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: orion7144
Originally posted by: Carbonyl

-a housing time bomb

So what your saying is to elect a Demacrat to increase taxes so we don't take home as much money? Just a ? not trying to start a war
;). In regards to your post about the rich are you referring to capitol gains? I am not rich by any means significantly less than 6 figures but the capitol gains double tax has prevented me from selling stock that would make my families life much easier in these times (caused by Clinton). And lets not start on the Marriage tax.

Clinton lowered the capitals gains tax, twice actually, and since the market went from 3,000 to over 11,000 on his watch you had to have made something...

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

When was the last time you wore a uniform? If you want to critisize, even dishonestly, anyone who has served, I would expect that you have done the same. Please, enlighten us.

Are you saying that the military should be not be critisized by anyone other than itself?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

Are you saying that the military should be not be critisized by anyone other than itself?

If the criticism is that the person in question somehow did not perform duties to the required level or in accordance with the UCMJ, then I think the person leveling the criticism should have some knowledge about the topic which he/she is discussing. That knowledge is typically gained through serving in uniform, though I would certainly accept informed opinions/statements from someone with detailed knowledge of the military.

My statement above really was only directed at the original author.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Was George W. Bush AWOL during his time in the National Guard?

• Bush's enemies say all this proves he was a cowardly deserter. Nonsense. He was a pampered rich kid who took advantage.

That is one of the biggest piles of unsubstantiated rumor-mongering I have seen in quite some time. Thanks for linking that -- now I'm convinced that the story is false. Let me quote some relevant portions:
  • Not a quote, but he alleges that the "media has kept a lid on this one" -- maybe because it doesn't hold water to a rational reader?
  • "Here's the story as generally agreed upon ..." By whom?
  • "a year and a half long, by some estimates" ... Estimated by the same ones who "generally agree", I suppose
  • "Some have speculated" ... Ah, there they go again!
And my personal favorite which sums up the author completely:
  • "If history judges Bush harshly--and it probably will--it won't be for screwing up as a young smart aleck, but for getting us into this damn fool war."

Nice, unbiased source with loads of facts.