Have screwed up my RAM settings!! help

pixel

Jul 12, 2000
My PC has been crashing, locking up a lot when booting in windows etc etc! So I went into the BIOS and I found that the SPD for the RAM had been turned off!! So I think it must have been that, for example the CAS was set to 2 when the RAM is CAS 3 (I immediately set it back to SPD enabled!!!). Could I have damaged the RAM by haveing the RAM setting all screwed? Please help, as I don?t know what has now happened to my RAM. What should I do take it out straight away before I cause more damage!! I'm not into over clocking so I don't know what the F**K I have done!

What a dumd ass lol

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000

Go into the BIOS and select the "set to defaults" or similar option. This should fix any BIOS related problems.

Take a look at your mobo manual to get some pointers on BIOS parameters. Then in future change only 1 or 2 things in the BIOS at a time to be sure you haven't done anything to hurt performance.

See:
http://www.ping.be/bios/

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
If good ram, you can run it CAS 2. Ie. if it works, you're laughing.

I run mine CAS 2 at 112 MHz, despite the fact that SPD says it should be CAS 3. Gives a nice performance boost in games.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
What's SPD? The 3 PC100 chips I've tried all could do 125 at CAS2 no problems.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
"Question: What is SPD?"

"Answer: SPD (Serial Presence Detect) is a new feature available on SDRAM DIMMs. This feature is an attempt to solve industry-wide compatibility problems by making it easier for the BIOS to properly configure the system to optimize SDRAM performance profiles. The SPD device is an 8-pin serial EEPROM chip that stores information on the DIMM modules' size, speed, voltage, drive strength, and number of row and column addresses. When the BIOS reads these parameters during the POST routine, it automatically adjusts values in the BIOS Chipset section for maximum reliability and performance."

pixel

Jul 12, 2000
Cheers you lot :)) (phew)
I don't think it was just the CAS that was screwed for 3 weeks ohoopy...still no a problem then??