have ISC DHCP send multiple ddns hostnames

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
I am managing all static ip addresses through our dhcp server, which is ISC DHCPd running on RHEL 5. I have static entries to assign addresses to our servers and then set the hostname on our dns server. This is working great, but I have one addition I would like to make.

Sometimes we have multiple dns names to the same address; for instance, our Apache web server with multiple virtual hosts based on hostname. Is it possible to have ISC DHCPd send multiple hostnames to the dns server for the same static ip assignment?

edit: just adding multiple ddns-hostname entries does not work. it only adds whatever is in the last ddns-hostname entry.

Last edited:

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
How many servers are we talking about?

I've always been a firm believer of not relying on DHCP for handling static IPs on servers. I always hardcode them in the OS and manually add the host record in DNS.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
I only have 4 that are getting their ips from dhcp right now, but we have about 40 servers in total and many many more printers and other equipment that need static ips. I eventually plan to move all these to dhcp. We hardcode them now, but it is getting unweildy. I've never felt strongly either way, but I'm starting to see the advantages of managing static IPs through dhcp when you get a huge number of devices.