have I damaged my motherboard?

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
I have one of those silly A8N motherboards where the northbridge fan dies. In the process of trying to get the fan off of the motherboard I scraped the backside of the board near one of the plastic pegs. Where I scraped the lines turned copper colored. I plugged everything in and breifly started up the system. Everything seems fine.

My concern is if my system is now a ticking timebomb. I'm not really clear on if the connections in the motherboard are deep down inside or if this stuff on the surface (on the back) is the real connections. If it is the real thing I guess I never knew how fragile this stuff was...

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
as long as the copper trace are not completly cut, you are ok. But I suggest to put something to protect them. electrical tapr could do, but some electrical lacker would do better.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: grooge
as long as the copper trace are not completly cut, you are ok. But I suggest to put something to protect them. electrical tapr could do, but some electrical lacker would do better.

put something down while i'm working on the board or put something down permanently?

frizzzby

Dec 4, 2006
Uhh Grooge was telling you to cover the traces with electrical lacker (on the board) to keep them from the air. The board should be fine without but in time the copper will corode and could cause problems in the future.