Have humans stopped evolving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
evolution has very little to do with survival of the fittest. evolution is about propagation of favorable/unfavorable traits. you can be superman, but if you don't reproduce then you contribute nothing to the gene pool.

it's ignorant to say that we're no longer evolving because we no longer face an intense stuggle for survival. evolution in humans cannot be observed - we are slowly changing as we speak, yet you can't notice it. evolution has and always will occur - the only difference will be the driving forces. (survival of the fittest vs. survival of the hottest ???).

=|

Czesia

Nov 22, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
as long as women choose men based on certain characteristics, we evolve.

While good looks and good "genes" are usually preferential for most species, humans have the added selection of personality, status, etc. So when women "choose" their men, it is not always based on better genes.

survival of the fittest vs. survival of the hottest

People who are less fortunate in the looks department will still continue to propagate.
rolleye.gif

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Czesia
We have laws and rules that make all humans equal, regardless of race, gender, health, intelligence, etc.

Have we? Are you sure?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
People who are less fortunate in the looks department will still continue to propagate.
rolleye.gif

obviously, but you're thinking about this on a very micro scale. think about an attractive male that impregnates 3 woman, as opposed to an ugly one that's only with one. aside from the case of pure numbers, the attractive male is mixing his genes w/ 3 seperate women therefore adding to variation - a key ingredient for evolution to occur. evolution isn't as simple as kill or be kill, or reproduce or don't reproduce. evolution involves a delicate balance of thousands of genes over millions of years. 1 child vs. 3 children means little in a single generation, but compounded over millions of years you're talking about an enormous shift in balance.

anyway, realize the "???" at the end of my comparison. my point is only that evolution always occurs, the only variable is the driving forces. the fact that you can't observe it means absolutely nothing.

=|

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
We have laws and rules that make all humans equal, regardless of race, gender, health, intelligence, etc.
Have we? Are you sure?
Exactly... this isn't Communist China here... we discriminate all the time.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I don't know if humans stopped or not, but apes and monkeys certainly did. Otherwise, they'd all be human or whatever by now.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I don't know if humans stopped or not, but apes and monkeys certainly did. Otherwise, they'd all be human or whatever by now.
haha, no. is there an "Evolution for Dummies?"

=|

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
as long as women choose men based on certain characteristics, we evolve.

While good looks and good "genes" are usually preferential for most species, humans have the added selection of personality, status, etc. So when women "choose" their men, it is not always based on better genes.

survival of the fittest vs. survival of the hottest

rolleye.gif

i didn't say anything about looks. ;)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ThePresence

oy, monkeys and apes evolved from their ancestors to what they are now. successful at what they do, just as lions are tigers are pretty damn successful at what they do. put a human next to them.. and well, the tiger survives;) there is no "goal" in evolution, just survivability within the niche.