Have dell 2405 save the NEC NEC 20WMGX2 in person.. WOW!!! worth the downgrade???

havuk

Oct 24, 2005
The specs on the NEC are really impressive, wish it was 24", I'm a hard core gamer and have been using my Dell 2405 for 2 months but was thinking about picking up one of these NEC monitors for gaming, it has fast 6ms response time and 1600:1 contrast ratio... what do you guys think?

Would this be a huge downgrade going from a 24" to 20" also considering the lower resolution 1680x1050?? thanks

Mar 11, 2004
It depends.

Is image quality your biggest concern? Do you need the resolution (say for viewing full 1920x1080 content)? Is 24" a bit too large for you (I know several people have said its just too big to sit in front of)? Have you ever seen a monitor with a glossy screen?

The NEC will undoubetdly have better image quality. I'm sure you're aware of the resolution difference. You might view it as a good thing, maybe a bad thing (good if you don't want to have to upgrade as often to be able to play games at native resolution, bad if the extra resolution comes in handy for whatever you do).

From what I've gathered, it would be a better monitor for gaming. Some users have reported some type of input lag with the 2405, and also the NEC has better response time as you've noted.

If possible, I'd recommend checking out a monitor with a glossy screen in a store to see if its something you could deal with (more susceptible to glare). Some people are really bothered by it (and nearly every review I've seen puts this feature as a negative against the monitor), and others love it. Keep in mind your setup at home, so if you have a large window right behind you, it might not be the best.

I would say, that from what I've heard about the NEC, that it'd be worth the downgrade for you. The lower resolution seems to be a benefit for gamers so that they don't have to upgrade as much (but if you do it anyways, it might be a moot point). Also, the response time is second to none in LCDs. Couple that with the superb picture quality, and it should make for one sweet gaming screen.

I believe there are supposed to be a new large panel that should be close to the NEC, but in I think 23" size sometime. Not much more information to offer than that, but something to consider if you really like the extra size and/or resolution. You might PM the user Zebo on here, as he seems to know a lot about anything like that.

havuk

Oct 24, 2005
great information thanks! i am aware of the glossy screen but i keep all my windows covered in my office 99.9% of the time so that won't be an issue..
as far as what i use my monitor for? 60% gaming and 40% web surfing/dvd decoding etc..

the more i read about the NEC the more I want to try it, they have it here locally at Fry's electronics for $699 i may pick one up for a demo and buy from Newegg if I decide to keep it (newegg sells it for $639)

dalearyous

Jan 8, 2006
if you have a dell 2405 and are already thinking about getting another LCD it sounds like you have the dough to constantly upgrade (and looking at your PC specs) in which case a larger screen is prolly best for you. with that said, ive seen the 2405 and wouldn't buy it mainly because it doesn't have the PQ that my CRT has in FPSs etc...

glossy screen is a good point. im not that big of a fan simply because of glare. even if you have blinds on windows you still get a lot of light in the room and it makes it kinda hard to see.

if i was you, i would wait for the next best 23-24 inch LCD screen and go with it. i know HP released a 23" a little while ago that was said to be better than the 2405. but its yours call