Question have curved monitors gone the way of 3D tv?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I picked up our Chevy Metro at the car shop a couple of days ago, and noticed that the owner has a curved monitor. I remember at one point maybe a year ago, looking at a discounted (around 40% off) monitor, but truly, I couldn't really see much benefit at home.

It makes sense for the car shop owner, I guess - not as easy for people to see what he is looking up when he's looking up parts.

Are curved monitors going the way of the dinosaur?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I tried a 34 inch ultrawide but the problem I had was that being used to a 32 inch 16:9 the LACK of vertical area drove me nuts doing anything other than gaming. (especially for video)

Reactions: bba-tcg

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I despised* my 32" curved display. A deep burning hatred.

But I love my current 42" flat display.

lets see you handle a 49inch super ultra wide flat monitor without getting neck adjustments.
Curved has its benefits, especially in the ultra wide class.
Maybe not the normal wide, but im talking like 34's 38's and 49's.

Honestly, i love my curved. They have there advantages especially in the glare department, as i don't see a straight up reflection of what's behind me due to how the concave optics work in focusing you which unless your wearing LED's won't be generating a light source.

As for my flats, i have a really really really large flat and i can use it to spy on whatever is behind me, which is mostly my dog stealing my spot on my sofa.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm getting a new display soon and find myself torn between an LG 48 inch 16:9 OLED (48GQ900-B), an Asus 43 inch 16:9 VA (XG43UQ) and an Alienware 38 inch 21:9 IPS ultrawide (AW3821DW).

Note I like the LG version of the IPS ultrawide panel better (38GN950-G) but LG support is bottom of the barrel if you have a problem while Dell despite what you hear is pretty good IME and includes a 3 year advance-exchange warranty. Also the LG is several hundred dollars more!

As mentioned I already tried a 34 inch ultrawide and it was just too small vertically for 16:9 and especially for viewing older 4:3 media for my tastes. As for the new 43 inch LG OLED TV, it has no DP 1.4, plus auto-dimming cannot be fully disabled. (actually OLED's scare me for desktop use due to burn-in)

Any thoughts/opinions, experiences OR alternate suggestions in the area of a grand are welcome!

Will be buying this week! :)

EDIT: Prob going to make this post into a thread of its own!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and bigboxes

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think they are making a bit of a comeback.

Even though I only got a 31.5 I went with a slight curve. I saw some displays in a store and I thought the curve was good

Reactions: Captante