Question Have any of you played around with the ASRock Arc 380 yet?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Have any of you gotten your hands on an Intel/Asrock Arc 380 video card yet for $140?

My understanding is that the performance isn't terrible, but drivers could truly improve it over time. Price isn't horrible, either.

I'm actually tempted to upgrade to this from our old RX 550 video card. However, performance on older (Directx 9, for example) games seems horrid, and we DO play a lot of older games......

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
For $140 it makes a decent spare if it's not up to snuff with drivers right now. I suspect there will be a huge push to get that fixed though to make it more appealing for sales.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I'm actually tempted to upgrade to this from our old RX 550 video card. However, performance on older (Directx 9, for example) games seems horrid, and we DO play a lot of older games......
Your rx550 most likely will be much faster* in your system then the A380.

For $150, you can get a rx6400 that will outperform the a380 in most games:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rx6400&tbm=shop

see:

*yes, the rx6400 loses a bit of performance from PCIe 3, but the a380 craters without rebar. If your system has a rx550 in it, odds are it does not have rebar support.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
the problem with the A380 is that the specs are a little low for it to really do much where Arc shines (newer DX12/Vk titles), and the support for DX11 and older is terrible, also needing rebar makes it useless for older systems which would be a natural target for it, so it's... difficult to justify,
I mean the A380 has far features in terms of display outputs and video decoding than the RX6400, but for gaming, it's not really there.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@SPBHM

I wouldn't touch an A3xx but be focused on a A73x A77x as they're more comparable to mid range systems.

Intel-Arc-Alchemist-SPECS.jpg

rsz_screenshot-2020-01-20-at-75746-pm.png

AMD tables seem to not be popular in looking around for one though, There are some decent options though from them as well.

I tend to mostly use a dGPU on laptops though so, that's predominantly Nvidia. Currently using a 3060 and it holds up fine to what I need it to do. Of course bumping upwards would be nice but, the cost/performance didn't make sense in Mar when I got the laptop. Now that component prices are coming down this should trickle down a bit on the laptop side though the pricing for ADL based systems seems to be sticking at their launch prices still.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
>I wouldn't touch an A3xx but be focused on a A73x A77x as they're more comparable to mid range systems.

My problem with the others is that the video card alone is more than I typically spend on a complete PC, after upgrading memory & HDD.....

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
>I wouldn't touch an A3xx but be focused on a A73x A77x as they're more comparable to mid range systems.

My problem with the others is that the video card alone is more than I typically spend on a complete PC, after upgrading memory & HDD.....
Well, pay now or pay later applies to anything tech related.

When I got my laptop I upped my expectations to at least a 3060 and it's working well. Now the laptop version of the 3060 is different from the desktop version.

There are plenty of options depending on what you want to do. If you're gaming that's one thing but if you're using it for compute calculations for rendering then time is the commodity. Just about anything is better than the 550. If you go on PCPartPicker.com you can sort/filter based on price specs ram etc.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Granted, the RX 550 is getting long in the tooth. If I can find a deal on a 6400 in the next 12-18 months, there is a good chance that I might upgrade to that. It has about twice the performance, for the same number of watts. However, 95% of the games we play are casual titles that wouldn't benefit at all, so I'm not in a rush. I could easily wait 2-3 more years.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Have any of you gotten your hands on an Intel/Asrock Arc 380 video card yet for $140?

My understanding is that the performance isn't terrible, but drivers could truly improve it over time. Price isn't horrible, either.

If you using Windows as the OS; Windows has a generic drivers that is suppose to work pretty well anyways!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Can you elaborate on that? I use handbrake probably 3 times a week, pretty regularly. What are you saying that handbrake will eventually support?
The Dolby AC4 codec that's currently proprietary and has no open source option. Either you view it directly or use something other than Plex if you want audio on your recordings.