Have any of you ever used a staffing company to find a job?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
How did it pan out? Was it successful? Would you recommend it? I'm going to try Manpower Inc. for a job in the computer field.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
they're pretty cool... just dont get stuck with one where they take a cut of your paycheck. it really sucks (according to my friend).

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
We just offered a job to someone who is in the process of completing his associates degree at a local community college.

He first started working for us through Adecco for $20/hr, now he's probably making $25/hr with benefits. Not bad for someone who just turned 20.

I would suggest contacting your local Adecco office, best of luck!

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
How did it pan out? Was it successful? Would you recommend it? I'm going to try Manpower Inc. for a job in the computer field.

So far the majority of my work has come from staffing firms. It was succesful in the fact that they managed to get me the job since they're the ones who have all the contacts. Do yourself a favor and don't just limit yourself to 1 firm, hit them all up. If you get a short contract and you're able to put some good experience on your resume, then update it and fire it off to all the staffing companies again.

I did a contract for Manpower a couple of years ago and overall I was pretty satisfied. About the only thing I don't like about the contracting thing is that A) I'm always looking for work and B) I'm always hopping from place to place (or company to company) so I never have a chance to get good benefits.

Fow what it's worth, the Manpower branch where I live pretty much stays out of your way once you're hired. The one company I worked for after them would send an agent out to the job site to make sure that we were happy and there were no problems (which was cool with me). Another company I interviewed said that not only would they check up on us to see how we were doing, but they basically wanted their employees to act as corporate spies for them. I was instructed that if I got the job I was supposed to keep my recruiter updated on any vacancies or potential vacancies (like if my co-worker told me he was going on an interview during lunch, then I was supposed to contact my recruiter immediately and let him know). What they were asking wasn't completely unreasonable but I thought it was downright low. In my opinion if they wanted to get more contracts then they should do their own dirty work.

I guess all that info won't really affect you accept that you should be prepared for a different level of involvement with every company you work with.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
yeah, my first job was a contract position that i got through ABA Staffing. I worked on a Windows NT Deployment at Barclays Global Investors

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
We just offered a job to someone who is in the process of completing his associates degree at a local community college.

He first started working for us through Adecco for $20/hr, now he's probably making $25/hr with benefits. Not bad for someone who just turned 20.

Sweet, thanks Ross.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Sweet, thanks Ross.

No problem, anything for you Ryan :D

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
THey work but you usually don't get paid quite as much because the staffign company takes a big cut. I'm currently working through Manpower but will be putting in my 2 week notice this week.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Anyone using manpower in Raleigh NC? I am about to move there and TRY to find a job on my own, BUT if after a month I will PROBABLE go to manpower. Had soemone that works for them speak to a class of mine. Nice guy and was VERY honest, didn't seem like some slimmy sales man.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Lazee
temp-to-perm is the way to go

Yep, if that's a possibility then that is the way to go. The one place I worked absolutely refused to hire the person that worked my position permanently. The guy that was there before me had been on board for 1.5 years and they never hired him (he ended up leaving eventually), and when I came aboard they restructered, let some people go, and shut down the contract.

There are some places that I've worked where I would have loved to be placed there permanently, but every time it turns out to be a temp comtract and nothing else. Not complaining though since I've had the opportunity to work at quite a few cool places.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i worked for manpower (not manpower professional) at a very large and known company for 1 year and got extended another 5 months. I was the contractor there with the highest seniority since usually all contracts are only 1 year.

The contract i was in (and had kind a lead position)...well we had enormous turnover...i think i saw 20 people come and go.

Anyway...my supervisor would have loved to keep me, but they (the company i worked for thru Manpower) cannot legally keep contractors over 18months without hiring them. And the company doesn't hire/convert any contractors into employees since other real employees are still on lay off etc..

So...i *had* to leave....now i am having a 3 months break and THEN i could get re-hired by the company for another 18months...it totally sucks and is against any logic. Also, if you need benefits and dont have a spouse etc. thry which you can have benefits you're screwed. Usually there are none - or there is an option for healthcare benefits which is extremely expensive.