Have any of you ever considered working on a cruise ship? (young, middle age, old, etc) Post your thoughts!

Sheepathon

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I grew up in relatively boring Orange County, went to UCI, worked part time as a valet and tutor, graduated this year in June, spent half a month roaming around Brazil, a month in Taiwan (and biked around half of it with a cousin and some friends), and for the past month and a half, I've been somewhat halfheartedly applying to full time jobs, but all of them have not really appealed to me for any reason other than I'm running out of money. I don't know if I'm quite ready to go to any type of graduate school yet, and I'm having difficulties with the thought of spending 49 weeks of the year in an office while I'm still 22.

I crave traveling all over the world and seeing all kinds of different things more than anything, and I always have. I feel that if I were to join the machine and do the typical thing and then do my traveling later, it would be very different to go travel as someone much older (e.g. stiffer joints, less stamina, a wife and kid?!?!, etc).

The pay isn't stellar by any means - according to this FAQ I found, in general the range is between $1000 and $1700 a month. You also work long hours, and can expect to work seven days a week, approximately 8 - 14 hours a day.

But when the ship is docked and you are off duty, you get shore leave...often in exotic, fascinating locations.

Some links for the interested:
fabjob
Cruise line careers
Cruise Ship Jobs
Cruise Line Jobs

Not quite the most stable thing out there, but it seems like such a thrill compared to the mundane-ness of the typical life. What do you guys think? (by "guys," of course I mean all you ATers that aren't WoW-playing high school kids and the like - I'm seeking the opinions of others like me who really aren't sure what the hell to do with their lives, and those of you that have careers or are well on their way to having one and perhaps ever wondered about how your life might have been different, and if you would have done something like this if you had the chance to hit a time rewind button).

I'm beginning to seriously consider it. Thoughts, anyone?

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I think it would be really neat. But I can't see myself doing it. A friend of mine wanted to be a bartender on a cruise ship, but never did it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Sheepathon
and I'm having difficulties with the thought of spending 49 weeks of the year in an office while I'm still 22.

You'll have to get over that sooner or later.

I wanted to work on a cruise ship when I was younger (high school age), never did it though.

UFOfreak

Nov 27, 2006
Working on a cruise ship is a waste of time and no fun at all. I don't think you should do it.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
you have to make sure you dont get seasick first, what I heard from cruiseship members, its not something you can get used to.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I met someone who did that once when I was in high school. He did the printing on the ship (the daily newspapers and other such things) . He came in to speak to our printing class and said he had a great time doing. If I had nothing else going on in my life I would definitely do it.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Oh damn, maybe I should look into this after all...

Computer Systems Hardware Technician - installs, maintains, troubleshoots and upgrades computer hardware, software, personal computer networks, peripheral equipment and electronic mail systems; assesses user training needs and trains users in effective use of applications. Qualifications: Equivalent to completion of two years of college-level coursework in computer science, information technology or a related field and two years of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience. Fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $5000-5700 U.S. per month, depending on the cruise line.

UFOfreak

Nov 27, 2006
Originally posted by: richardycc
you have to make sure you dont get seasick first, what I heard from cruiseship members, its not something you can get used to.

That and you actually mean sick from the Cruise Ship itself.

They did a special and Cruise Ships are very dirty.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Teach english overseas. From what I've read you don't work many hours, you get paid a living wage, and you get free airfare to/from. This is how it looks on paper but a bunch of the schools are shady, fortunately there are websites that have reviews from former teachers.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
If you think it'll be fun, go for it. You'll find doing something like that much more difficult later on in life.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Sheepathon
and I'm having difficulties with the thought of spending 49 weeks of the year in an office while I'm still 22.

You'll have to get over that sooner or later.

I wanted to work on a cruise ship when I was younger (high school age), never did it though.

True, and untrue. You just have to be smart about it. I have the same problems as OP, unfortunately I took the wrong path and am 25 and doing nothing with my life. I do have a couple great adventures under my belt (also including bike-touring like you, OP) that none of my 9-to-5 friends could ever have managed. But I also make half of what any of them make and money is getting to be important in my life.

Point is...I still also don't see myself ever being slave to my employer for all but 2 weeks of a year, and I don't think I'd ever be okay with that. There are, of course, options other than working on a cruise ship. OP could become a teacher or become his own boss. Even a flight attendant. I just heard a radio commercial; United is currently hiring.

But, I digress. OP, I have given the idea thought, as I'd spent a few years in the "hospitality" industry, and suffer from severe wanderlust. But ultimately I realized that it probably wouldn't be as glamorous as I thought, and most likely would be more work than play. Might as well just get a real job making good money, and then I'd be able to afford my own travels on my own time, instead of needing to get a job whose main perk was travel to exotic places. FWIW, I did once meet a lady who was a dancer in a show on a Carnival or something cruiseship, and she did love it, though I'm imagining that had something to do with still doing what she loved (dancing, as opposed to waiting tables or cleaning bedsheets), and not solely being on a cruise ship.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
I remember my mother telling me how a lot of old people, instead of going to retirement homes, go on week-long cruises. Apparently, in the long run, it's about the same price! Weird, huh?

UFOfreak

Nov 27, 2006
You should be careful because you can get very ill on Cruise Ships.

They have all kind of disgusting stuff that was investigated and proved on Cruise Ships. Its sick.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I don't think you should be counting on shore leave making up for all the other crap. It doesn't sound like you get that much leave, as there's still work to be done while the passengers are out. Also, you'll stop at the same islands all the time. Once you've been to same "exotic" island 5 times, I doubt it'll hold any special joy for you.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I think it really depends on what job you have. I think that IT job I posted wouldn't take up all that much time. I mean right now I work for a company that does IT work for several thousand people under many clients. Computers break down from time to time, but for the most part I sit on my ass waiting for something to break, or for them to order a new server/Line installation.

On a ship I would be on call of course and there would be times when I would be busy all day, but I couldn't imagine it taking 8-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. More like 5-8 max. And not having to pay rent or for food...

Plus i'm sure you have all the things available to you like the swimming pool, gym, bar. I might submit a resume to a few cruise lines.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
That would be neat, but jesus that's almost no money at all. I'd rather be a high school teacher

A) The people you deal with will be MORE hospitable as a high school teacher (believe me, high schoolers have nothin' on snobby old people)
B) The pay is better
C) The hours are better
D) You have a lot more liberty in how you teach, what you do, etc.
E) More stability

It's a little less exciting, and I guess I sort of went off topic there...

marulee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, decision is totally up to you i guess.
But you are gonna experiencing whole new stuffs for sure..

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
First of all, ignore UFOTroll. He/she has no idea what they are talking about. A closed mouth gathers no feet. :p

You do it not for the money but because you like to do it. I have folks telling me all the time I could be making 5X or more the money on shore with my skills. So what! Life is too short and valuable to worry about that.

OTOH where can you work and have none of the following:

Taxes
Insurance (Auto/Home)
Mortgage/rent
Utilities
Most groceries/food, etc.

So you wind out ahead for an equal land based job. You get to meet a lot of different people from many nationalities and see a lot of places. There's never a dull moment.

Of course nothing's perfect! You will work seven days a week and often 10+ hours each day depending on your role. Some just can't take it.

You have to be a people person and a team player to be successful. Of course that's practically a pre-requisite everywhere else but these traits are highly desirable for obvious reasons.

Anyone can work on a cruise ship. If you can communicate in English well (both orally and written), are in good health and have a clean background you will have no problem getting a position.

Just ignore those that say no and remember to have a positive attitude with EVERYTHING. Remember NOBODY can control what is thrown at them but they can most certainly control how they react to it. And to no surprise guess what everyone notices? How you act to it! Keep that in mind. :)

50cent1228

Platinum Member
Oct 5, 2006
iv been on 7 diff cruise ships and so far from what i have seen its kool because you get to go to diff places everyday...unless your stuck on the same route forever.