Have a wonderful and liberal helping of American turkey on Thanksgiving

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
"You conservative guys should eat till you burst"

good advice!

i just came home from a great visit to chicago...
took the boy to Morton's, and introduced him to the pleasures of a fine steakhouse..48 ounces of perfection carved at the table!
ate a monster pizza at Giordano's
took the family and my dad to Shaw's Crab House, had a fantastic meal
did thanksgiving dinner at Zest, included pumkin soup and pumkin pie, sweet potato, turkey, veggies, mashed spuds,etc.

as for tofu.......i don't think the pilgrims would have approved (nor the indians).

happy thanksgiving to all

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Tofurkey is four times harder to digest than turkey. You al know what Tofurkey is, I hope.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Hope everybody had a wonderful thanksgiving with family friends and loved ones. Took me old Mommy to the Hyatt in Sacramento and made it back alive. Happy, Happy!

You called Mom old... I'm telling!!!!!!!! :D Now she'll like me best.. hehehehehe

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
as for tofu.......i don't think the pilgrims would have approved (nor the indians).

Well, I think the Soybean farmers here in the mid-west approve;)

CkG

I think the farmers who do soybean are more mid-eastern..
Why can't you'all be like centrists or something.. why snatch a bit of our locale to claim as your own.. as far as I'm concerned everyone is eastern to me.. just depends on how dingy they are to warrant the right to assign a sub locale to their region.. :D

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

Well, I think the Soybean farmers here in the mid-west approve;)

CkG

I think the farmers who do soybean are more mid-eastern..
Why can't you'all be like centrists or something.. why snatch a bit of our locale to claim as your own.. as far as I'm concerned everyone is eastern to me.. just depends on how dingy they are to warrant the right to assign a sub locale to their region.. :D

We be wester than the mighty Miss. ;) Lots O beans in Neb and SD too - and they be even westerer than us'es. Beans were rather small in spots though this year - the new screen regs really hurt a few.

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hope everybody had a wonderful thanksgiving with family friends and loved ones. Took me old Mommy to the Hyatt in Sacramento and made it back alive. Happy, Happy!

You called Mom old... I'm telling!!!!!!!! :D Now she'll like me best.. hehehehehe

Well 39 is old if you ask me.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Well 39 is old if you ask me.

She's 38 not 39 and I'm still telling.. :D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
CAD,
We be wester than the mighty Miss. Lots O beans in Neb and SD too - and they be even westerer than us'es. Beans were rather small in spots though this year - the new screen regs really hurt a few.

Every one wants to be west of something.. :D what is a screen regs.. size of beans?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
CAD,
We be wester than the mighty Miss. Lots O beans in Neb and SD too - and they be even westerer than us'es. Beans were rather small in spots though this year - the new screen regs really hurt a few.

Every one wants to be west of something.. :D what is a screen regs.. size of beans?

Yes.

1. USDA Soybean Grading Standards
These standards are used by elevator operators to grade field
beans. The 10/64-inch by 3/4-inch slotted screen test is used to
identify and measure soybean splits. Foreign material is any matter
that passes through an 8/64-inch round-hole sieve and all material
other than soybean remaining on the sieve after sieving.
linky to that

Now I believe the corn growers were a bit more pissed this year as show in this news story
<snip>
Regulations call for a screen size of 12/64 of an inch when testing corn. Some buyers started using screens with holes 20/64 of an inch in diameter, and smaller kernels fell through.
</snip>
Now when a load goes to the plant from the Farmer - they have to maintain a certain percentage(of good size kernel - which doesn't fall through the screen) otherwise they get docked(pay wise) or even in some cases get their whole load rejected.

Lots of pissed farmers this fall. Now I'm not 100% sure what the Soybean deal was but I'm pretty sure they(processing plants) followed what the corn plants did as far as increasing their grading screen size. We do work for one of the largest Soybean processors in the US(not ADM;)) and from what I heard through the grapevine and a tad on the news - that this year they had a bit of a problem with size due to a mini drought at the wrong time of the growing season.

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
CAD,
Well to me corn is corn.. if it tastes about the same it is fine with me. Same for beans.. not sure I could tell the difference. If I can't and if the off size corn or beans are not 'unhealthy' then why does the keeper of screens and bean/corn size determiners do this.. I'll have to read the links tomorrow.. a small strawberry tastes better to me.. but, oh well..

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Yay to loudness, cold food and dressing up.... Over 40 brats at my parents and only half those were children.:p

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I thought I'd be burned out on Turkey this year.

I eat quite a bit of deli lunch meat at home and have been eating more and more turkey breast instead of ham and beef bologna to improve my health a bit. I don't care much for chicken breat lunch meat.

Anyways Thanksgiving came and I enjoyed it like I always do.

I missed this thread so I'll wish everyone a merry Xmas early just in case. :)