have a few questions about the 8800gts g92

kevinf2090

Jul 23, 2005
i just recently bought the evga version of this card. did you guys pull the clear plastic off the fan. it had a tab that said pull. also on my card, where there is a downward crease going into the fan, the part of the sticker near the crease doesn't really stay on well. it always peels itself off 3 or 4 mm off the plastic. is this a big deal. i am just worrying about having the sticker melt off because of the heat. also what speed is your fan at. i am also seeing some other people having the card idling at around 45-48 degrees; how come mine idles at 50-52

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Mine does the same thing. If you're talking about the area towards the back where the card thins out and the rusty looking sticker doesn't stay adhered to the card well then yeah I have the same problem. To be honest I'm not that worried about it. If it gets any worse than I'll just remove the sticker completely. Won't take the the resale value down that much.

If you're not aware the new GTS's come with a bug that locks the fan speed @ 29%. Download nTune, or Rivatuner to adjust your fan speed. I keep mine locked at 65% and my temps stay between 39-42 even under load. I also have an Antec 900 case with some beasty fans on it too. Make sure you know what driver version you have because Riva isn't compatible with the new 169.28 drivers yet.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Not sure, I'm trying to find one of the posts I read it on. If you want, download nTune fron EVGA and install it and adjust the fan speed manually. nTune is really pretty easy to use but most people won't recommend using it for oc'ing because it's buggy. One of the downsides is (like with mine on Vista64) it might not save your settings. So you have to open nTune and set your fanspeed again everytime you restart. I haven't checked the latest news on the bug. Just google "GTS G92 bug" or something like that and see what you find. Don't wait for the bug fix to come out though. I'm not much of an oc'r so any kind of oc programs make me a little nervous. But nTune is easy to use, even though it's a little bugged.

Let me try and find the post, again, I'm not sure if it's a driver issue or something wrong with the cards bios.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Peelback79
If you're not aware the new GTS's come with a bug that locks the fan speed @ 29%.

:confused: I thought this fan speed problem was with some of the early 8800GT cards? Pls could someone with GT/GTS-512 enlighten me.

kevinf2090

Jul 23, 2005
also i just noticed that if i adjust the fan speed in the nvidia control panel, it resets back to 29% after a restart. is this normal

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Use Ntune at your own risk. Gainward experttool or rivatuner is probably the safer bet. Look at some of the guides if rivatuner confuses you. OP, I pulled that clear plastic that was over the card and would recomend that you do as well. If things get hot enough it could end up somewhere you dont need it to.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Here's a link to a guide on how to set up rivatuner to auto adjust your fan speed according to temp. http://www.vaguesoft.com/users...g/tutorials/rivatuner/ You can set it up to cycle up and down by temp or set it to stay at any speed you want.

I used it on a 8800gt cycling from 40% to 100% in 4 steps to keep temp (55C at 80% usually) below 65C. and it works great.

Jim

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What exactly do you have to do to get rivatuner to work with the gts512 and the 169.25 driver in vista 64? It will install and show my card/monitor but doesn't offer the card icon when I try to select customize.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Puffnstuff
What exactly do you have to do to get rivatuner to work with the gts512 and the 169.25 driver in vista 64? It will install and show my card/monitor but doesn't offer the card icon when I try to select customize.

To add support for 8800gts 512 to rivatuner 2.06, open rivatuner.cfg and make the following edit to the G92 line:

[GPU_10DE] : G92 = 610h-61Fh,600h

xp0c

Jan 20, 2008
Find it here C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.06

Open RivaTuner.cfg with notepad.

Find where it says [GPU_10DE] and go down the list to where it says G92= 610h-61Fh.
Edit that line to look like this G92 = 610h-61Fh,600h

Run riva tuner and set fan to 60% then checkmark the apply settings at windows start up box.

gpse

Oct 7, 2007
I took the clear sticker off, there is also one on the fan for the little round EVGA sticker.
I also keep my fan set to 50%.

kevinf2090

Jul 23, 2005
ok i used rivatuner to configure fan speed and profiles. but whenever i restart windows, it blocks rivatuner from starting up by itself. i always have to manually let it run. is there any way around this

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Whatever vendor you bought your card from (ie evga bfg) take a look on their site to see if they updated the BIOS for your card..

There are all updated bios' for 8800GT fan speed lock as stated above, but wouldn't hurt to check if theres one for 8800GTS too.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
with vista I think that you have to manually restart rivaturner every time. there might be a workaround for it, but I'm using xp so :)

be very wary of bios updates. It's probably easier and certainly safer to just use rivatuner.