Have a cousin who is a former Marine Captain in Afghanistan

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Just thought I'd post this for everyone who thinks Marines are all about just killing people.

He is still working out issues from some of the kids he loved and were killed there that were locals.

" We were the ones who didn't stink of fear or anger as we passed through their home every day, turtled-up in our helmets and armor, and bristling with weapons. We were simply new targets for their endless supply of cheap, beaded bracelets, Pakistani chewing gum, and Pashmina scarves.

We were simply the latest of that endlessly streaming grey herd, but we were the ones who talked to them, whom they trusted with their exotic names: Eesa, Nawab, Khorshid...

We were the ones who didn't slap or kick them away, who bought their cheesy wares. Instead of slaps and kicks, we passed out candy... at least we did at first.

We were the ones who asked them what they needed, and then began bringing them that; who gave them the cheap little Light House of the Blind clicky-pens that fascinated them, and the little green Army notebooks that just fit their little hands. And when the weather turned cold, we were the ones who bought all of the tube socks that our little PX carried, and passed them out to keep their feet warm. And we were the ones who bought toothbrushes and toothpaste for them when we found out there were none to buy outside of our gates.

We were the ones who became regulars on their mulberry-lined street, whose schedule they memorized, and on whom they waited to emerge from the armored gates each day. I was the one they told of their little triumphs and tragedies, of their successes with their school lessons, and the latest English words they had learned. And I was the one into whose pockets they began slipping little gifts.

We were the ones they began telling their families and friends about, the kind Americans who played with them and brought them gifts, and whom their parents would sometimes come to meet and thank... these strange ferenghi who were so different from the others. And we were the ones they protected from the other street urchins who weren't of their tribe.

At Nowruz, we were the ones to exchange gifts with them, and after Ramzan, we were the ones who passed out boxes of old books, clothing and toys that our families and friends had sent from America just for them.

We were the ones who had skateboards shipped from America for them, paying more money for the shipping than for the skateboards themselves. We were the ones who taught them that girls could ride skateboards as well as the boys, and that girls could be anything they wanted, as long as the mullahs didn't know.

I was the one for whom they made little drawings of American flags with the markers and paper we bought them. And I was the one who told them to draw Afghan flags instead, and who enthusiastically shouted "Shabash!" when they did.

We were the ones they wept for when we told them we were going home. And we were the ones who promised to remember them always and tell our family and friends about them.

And they were the ones for whom I wept after the senseless attack that took them: Eesa, Nawab, Khorshid..."

I'd post his name, but it's personal and haven't asked so I won't.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Someone has to deal with reality somedays I guess.

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
fortheheroes_zps6a63baf3.jpg.html
A Marine family member sent me this picture.
gopro33.jpg

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Especially if you've invested a good portion of your life. Might that be you? ;)
Perhaps it is compensation for penis size, hence joining the army and invade other countries make them feels superior.

<-- Having been both in front and behind the guns give me a different perspective of war than many of my peers. I was shot at, bombed on by the Viet Cong and the American during the Vietnam war, and then I was drafted as a child soldier to fight the Khmer Rouge because Vietnam ran out of bodies to defend its territory (behind the scenes, America supported Communist China, and Khmer Rouge to attack Vietnam after the war supposedly over in 1975).

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Perhaps it is compensation for penis size, hence joining the army and invade other countries make them feels superior.

<-- Having been both in front and behind the guns give me a different perspective of war than many of my peers. I was shot at, bombed on by the Viet Cong and the American during the Vietnam war, and then I was drafted as a child soldier to fight the Khmer Rouge because Vietnam ran out of bodies to defend its territory (behind the scenes, America supported Communist China, and Khmer Rough to attack Vietnam after the war supposedly over in 1975).

Glad you eventually made it out of Cambodia.

Is about all I can say.

You might still be there I guess.

I've never seen the US support Communist China in a war point me to that one.

Some American Corporations that are considered a "Person" might these days.

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Glad you eventually made it out of Cambodia.

Is about all I can say.

You might still be there I guess.

I've never seen the US support Communist China in a war point me to that one.

Some American Corporations that are considered a "Person" might these days.
U.S. Involvement in the Cambodian War and Genocide -- Yale University.

2. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger discusses the Khmer Rouge regime with Thailand's Foreign Minister Chatichai, November 26, 1975

Kissinger: "You should also tell the Cambodians that we will be friends with them. They are murderous thugs, but we won't let that stand in our way. We are prepared to improve relations with them."

3. Ford and Kissinger discuss Cambodia with Indonesia's President Suharto, Jakarta, December 5, 1975

4. Former US National Security Adviser, Zbigniew Brzezinski, on China and the Khmer Rouge, 1979:

&#8220;I encouraged the Chinese to support Pol Pot. Pol Pot was an abomination. We could never support him, but China could.&#8221; According to Brzezinski, the USA &#8220;winked, semi-publicly&#8221; at Chinese and Thai aid to the Khmer Rouge.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Ah I forgot a bit maybe, was maybe that getting rid of Pol Pot thing.

Pol Pot

That Cambodian Hitler guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot

I don't think eliminating Khmer Rouge is considered genocide.

In that case ISIL being bombed to hell would be Genocide.

You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere in your life and decide wether you're going to try to improve things or let people dominate you I guess.

Politicians take advantage of that fact to the the lack of having balls for a large part, has been my long time experience, in the last few decades.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
But I thought that war was such a good idea.

I could not say that war is good, but there are times when Homo Sapiens show themselves to be human even if in little ways when caught in situations we would rather not have existed to begin with. Per ardua ad astra?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Just thought I'd post this for everyone who thinks Marines are all about just killing people.

He is still working out issues from some of the kids he loved and were killed there that were locals.

" We were the ones who didn't stink of fear or anger as we passed through their home every day, turtled-up in our helmets and armor, and bristling with weapons. We were simply new targets for their endless supply of cheap, beaded bracelets, Pakistani chewing gum, and Pashmina scarves.

We were simply the latest of that endlessly streaming grey herd, but we were the ones who talked to them, whom they trusted with their exotic names: Eesa, Nawab, Khorshid...

We were the ones who didn't slap or kick them away, who bought their cheesy wares. Instead of slaps and kicks, we passed out candy... at least we did at first.

We were the ones who asked them what they needed, and then began bringing them that; who gave them the cheap little Light House of the Blind clicky-pens that fascinated them, and the little green Army notebooks that just fit their little hands. And when the weather turned cold, we were the ones who bought all of the tube socks that our little PX carried, and passed them out to keep their feet warm. And we were the ones who bought toothbrushes and toothpaste for them when we found out there were none to buy outside of our gates.

We were the ones who became regulars on their mulberry-lined street, whose schedule they memorized, and on whom they waited to emerge from the armored gates each day. I was the one they told of their little triumphs and tragedies, of their successes with their school lessons, and the latest English words they had learned. And I was the one into whose pockets they began slipping little gifts.

We were the ones they began telling their families and friends about, the kind Americans who played with them and brought them gifts, and whom their parents would sometimes come to meet and thank... these strange ferenghi who were so different from the others. And we were the ones they protected from the other street urchins who weren't of their tribe.

At Nowruz, we were the ones to exchange gifts with them, and after Ramzan, we were the ones who passed out boxes of old books, clothing and toys that our families and friends had sent from America just for them.

We were the ones who had skateboards shipped from America for them, paying more money for the shipping than for the skateboards themselves. We were the ones who taught them that girls could ride skateboards as well as the boys, and that girls could be anything they wanted, as long as the mullahs didn't know.

I was the one for whom they made little drawings of American flags with the markers and paper we bought them. And I was the one who told them to draw Afghan flags instead, and who enthusiastically shouted "Shabash!" when they did.

We were the ones they wept for when we told them we were going home. And we were the ones who promised to remember them always and tell our family and friends about them.

And they were the ones for whom I wept after the senseless attack that took them: Eesa, Nawab, Khorshid..."

I'd post his name, but it's personal and haven't asked so I won't.

Great article.:thumbsup:

I had somewhat similar experiences when I was in Vietnam way back in the 60's.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
It brings this to mind: Why are our boys over there?!
There's no point in that.
My neighbor did like..9 tours in Afghanistan.
not Marine.
There really is no reason for Americans to be there.
Meanwhile,his beautiful children suffer,their mother,too.