Have 6 computers

blert

Sep 30, 2005
How best to divide them up? Do you pick one project and focus on that or are there a few that you would recommend? Can you run more than one project on each computer? They are all single core in the 3500+ range.

I have a couple doing Folding@Home stuff, but I really don't know what I'm doing and would like to spend my money wisely...

<==== complete n00btard to the whole experience.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
You'll quickly get addicted to the stats and the whole distributed computing stuff.

The majority of Team AnandTech members focuses on more than one project.

We have some subteams: TAS (racing team, the project is changed every month and there are 2 competitions with a trophy); Team Enterprise (focuses on Rosetta@Home, a project similar to Folding@Home but on the Boinc platform) and the Rebel Alliance.

1) The first priority is of course your personal interest in a project.
If you want an overview on the projects, visit our sticky, distributedcomputing.info/projects.html or boinc.berkeley.edu
2) You can divide your computers by efficiency (more cache: better for protein folding (folding@Home, rosetta@home; better RAM latencies: Einstein@Home; AMD in general: SIMAP; Intel in general: SETI with optimized application; ...)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
If the 3500+ computers are only going to be doing distributed computing, I would sell at least four and get a Core 2 Quad setup to replace them. You'll probably make money on the deal and your electric bill with be lower too.