Hauppauge 1600 or 1800

birdog

Jul 11, 2001
I was wondering if I should get the Hauppauge 1600 (PCI) or the Hauppauge 1800 (PCI Express)?

I think that is the only difference, so would the faster interface help any? Is that the only differences?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Gee, talk about being shafted for responses.

I don't know for sure that the faster interface would help any. What I do know (you probably do to) is it puts those otherwise useless PCIe 1x slots to work. Either way I think you will do fine. If this isn't helpful, at least I gave you a bump for more looks :)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The primary reason for opting for PCI-e over PCI for peripherals other than a video card (or hardware raid controller) is almost solely to phase out PCI, it'll take PCI-e 2.0 and 3.0 to make the standard x1 PCI-e slots head and shoulders superior to PCI.

Choose based on what slots you have available and where you want to place the card, performance shouldn't be any different, especially considering the cards you mention contain only 1 HD tuner. Another thing to consider is that PCI is being phased out, so a PCI-e card should be compatible with a potential future system no longer containing PCI slots.

birdog

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks, I appreciate both your input. I think it is time to update my motherboard so I will go with the 1800.