Haswell "K" people - What is your VID and best stable overclock?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Doesn't look like this thread is going anywhere but I'm going ask again if anyone would like to post

The issue is that for anyone who's already set up an overclock, you're asking us to reset the BIOS to stock and check the measurements. That's a bit of a pain, and there's always a chance that something will go wrong in returning it to an overclock. That's made easier by using the OC profile feature on many motherboards, but it isn't perfect.

Second, the load voltage is not the same in every application, so you really have to standardize there - I say Intel Burn Test, because it's easy to use.

Third, the load voltage will depend on which of the many overvolting option is used - manual, offset, adaptive, auto, etc. That's setting aside the cache clock and voltage, DDR3 settings, LLC, phase control, and a whole bunch of other parameters that could matter to Haswell overclocks.

I'm not saying this isn't a worthy effort, but to get meaningful results, you need a clear set of guidelines, and you need people to be willing to alter their OC settings. From my own experience, I'm fairly confident a lower VID leads to better overclocks.

By the way, I thought VID used to be printed on the CPU boxes. Anyone know if that's true?

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The issue is that for anyone who's already set up an overclock, you're asking us to reset the BIOS to stock and check the measurements. That's a bit of a pain, and there's always a chance that something will go wrong in returning it to an overclock. That's made easier by using the OC profile feature on many motherboards, but it isn't perfect.

Second, the load voltage is not the same in every application, so you really have to standardize there - I say Intel Burn Test, because it's easy to use.

Third, the load voltage will depend on which of the many overvolting option is used - manual, offset, adaptive, auto, etc. That's setting aside the cache clock and voltage, DDR3 settings, LLC, phase control, and a whole bunch of other parameters that could matter to Haswell overclocks.

I'm not saying this isn't a worthy effort, but to get meaningful results, you need a clear set of guidelines, and you need people to be willing to alter their OC settings. From my own experience, I'm fairly confident a lower VID leads to better overclocks.

By the way, I thought VID used to be printed on the CPU boxes. Anyone know if that's true?

I totally understand and concede your point. It definitely takes effort to report the VID. Saving to a BIOS profile is very easy and generally will bring back the saved profile but there are always those times it doesn't work. Using CPUz to get an estimate of VID at default settings if it doesn't show in the BIOS (which I think is pretty rare with Haswell boards) is also easy and as long as the CPU clocks up the Vcore doesn't vary much with Haswell from what I've seen with my rig.

timchen

Mar 29, 2009
I totally understand and concede your point. It definitely takes effort to report the VID. Saving to a BIOS profile is very easy and generally will bring back the saved profile but there are always those times it doesn't work. Using CPUz to get an estimate of VID at default settings if it doesn't show in the BIOS (which I think is pretty rare with Haswell boards) is also easy and as long as the CPU clocks up the Vcore doesn't vary much with Haswell from what I've seen with my rig.

So which is my VID? In bios I saw 1.024v at 3.5, but leaving everything auto in windows under non-avx load CPUz showed 1.15v at 3.7.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So which is my VID? In bios I saw 1.024v at 3.5, but leaving everything auto in windows under non-avx load CPUz showed 1.15v at 3.7.

By "leaving everything auto" do you mean the values loaded by the BIOS if you reset?

What is your mobo? My Gigabyte Z87 with mobo default values clocks up to 3.9GHz under load?

Finally, how is your overclock? If you are getting 4.5GHz or more I'd bet your VID is the lower number if that is actually your default settings. ie first start up before messing with the BIOS.

My mobo shows 1.179 in the BIOS and CPUz shows 1.184 under load.

timchen

Mar 29, 2009
I think those are the values loaded by the BIOS if I reset. I didn't actually reset it to check though. In any case, I always see 1.024v and 3.5 at bios (auto and adaptive modes), as long as I don't manually dial in a constant voltage. My mb is asus z87 sabertooth. When I set the voltages and multipliers to AUTO, the loaded multipliers are 39 38 37 37 when I view them in the intel extreme tuning utility. At load the voltage cranks up to 1.15v.

I am currently using 4.3 at 1.18v adaptive. 4.4 is stable at 1.25v but using adaptive mode the voltage will crank up to 1.33v with AVX loads so it doesn't make much sense to me for just 100 mhz gain. I can boot into windows at 4.6 1.25v but any load will almost always BSOD it immediately.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I have to laugh at this a bit. I have a 4770S, not K. VID is 0.825. It stays at 0.825 when under load and turboed to 3.9GHz. Yes that's right, 0.825. Before I uninstalled the Asus AiSuite crap that came with the motherboard CD since I don't actually want my whole-home DVR to be overclocked for less stability/WAF factor, the default AiSuite settings put it at 4.5GHz without trying any tweaking. I ran AIDA64 for several hours like that too.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The voltage shown in the UEFI at stock settings is 1.008V for my 4770K.

The voltage at stock settings (3.9GHz due to Multicore Enhancement) using IBT is 1.184V. The voltage with a typical load like a game is 1.12V. Note that an AVX load adds about .07V and a lot of heat.

I can run at 4.4GHz with +0.05 adaptive, which takes it to 1.25V in IBT. It actually auto overvolts slightly, so it's not simply 1.184V + 0.05V.

The difference between an IBT run at 1.184V and 1.25V in terms of heat is huge. Using a lower-end Cooler Master air cooler on my 4770K, it doesn't hit 80C at 1.2V, but it will hit 99C at 1.25V. Keep in mind that in games, that 4.4GHz overclock runs at 1.17V.

That's why the applications used to test load matters.

Last edited:

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have to laugh at this a bit. I have a 4770S, not K. VID is 0.825. It stays at 0.825 when under load and turboed to 3.9GHz. Yes that's right, 0.825. Before I uninstalled the Asus AiSuite crap that came with the motherboard CD since I don't actually want my whole-home DVR to be overclocked for less stability/WAF factor, the default AiSuite settings put it at 4.5GHz without trying any tweaking. I ran AIDA64 for several hours like that too.

I didn't know the "S" parts were unlocked? That's awesome!

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The voltage shown in the UEFI at stock settings is 1.008V for my 4770K.

The voltage at stock settings (3.9GHz due to Multicore Enhancement) using IBT is 1.184V. The voltage with a typical load like a game is 1.12V. Note that an AVX load adds about .07V and a lot of heat.

I can run at 4.4GHz with +0.05 adaptive, which takes it to 1.25V in IBT. It actually auto overvolts slightly, so it's not simply 1.184V + 0.05V.

The difference between an IBT run at 1.184V and 1.25V in terms of heat is huge. Using a lower-end Cooler Master air cooler on my 4770K, it doesn't hit 80C at 1.2V, but it will hit 99C at 1.25V. Keep in mind that in games, that 4.4GHz overclock runs at 1.17V.

That's why the applications used to test load matters.

I'd say that BIOS reading is your VID. Sound about right with 4.4 at 1.17V. You have a great chip and I bet you have a few hundred MHz left in there on water.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I didn't know the "S" parts were unlocked? That's awesome!

I think the multiplier is locked for a max of 3.9GHz with normal bus speed. But the AiSuite increases BCLK, and defaulted to 39x115.3 or something like that.

Last edited:

Lat

Feb 18, 2012
I use Intel Burn Test for stability.

My old 4670K at stock hit 1.24V in IBT (I think), and I could only overclock it to about 4.2GHz with close to 1.28V.

My new 4770K at stock hit 1.2V in IBT (I know the VID is lower that my 4670K), and does 4.4GHz with 1.25V.

No doubt in my mind that VID means a lot.

Balla's ridiculous OC above is no doubt possible due to his very low VID. Lucky dog, that one... ;)

Note that Haswell adds additional voltage under AVX loads like IBT (perhaps only when using adaptive overvolting - can't quite remember). My gaming voltage is much lower than my IBT voltage.

My 4670k tops out at similar numbers, 4.2GHz at 1.28v. Definitely a silicon lottery dud.