Haswell high temps? Case fan setup? CPU heatsink setup error? Some help here!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
I used intel tuning utility...you can select the amount of time to keep the cpu in 100% usage...
You can find it on intel's site...its quite nice.

goblinapoel

Aug 5, 2013
Guys I came across a weird situation. I stress test the CPU with intel tuning utility. At 100% load the temps rise up to 68-70. With Prime95 and under 50-60% load, i get temps of 78-80C. I just don't get it :)

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'm not sure if your Prime95 is actually loading the CPU only 50-60%. Where did you get that number? Could it be you're loading only half the cores with prime95, and the temperature reported is for the cores that are loaded?

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
Mine are 100 degrees while in 100% load with intel utility. Measured with two programs..and i've seen it throthelling
With real load, like 40%... i have 70-72 degrees...
When i bootet the rig, in bios i had 65 degrees shown...

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
OK, try looking at your Task Manager's performance tab instead

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
I disabled turbo boost and did the full load test again. Even if it reached for one moment 98 degrees, it looked much better regarding temps, average under 90. And no throtteling at all..

goblinapoel

Aug 5, 2013
I think that in my case, Prime95 works differently compared to Intel's utility. I mean rime 95 may use tests that torture the CPU with different kind of operations and despite the fact that it loads to 50-60%, in reality is stressed more.

Nec_V20

May 7, 2013
Disabling HyperThreading in the BIOS will also reduce the temperature of the CPU.

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
And maybe the Gpu also... didn't notice though if i can do that from Bios...

Nec_V20

May 7, 2013
If you look in your motherboard manual it will tell you where the option is located.

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
I bought an aftermarket cooler, Noctua something. I'll set it up and come back with some temp figures...hope they will be lower

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
I considered that such a powerhouse processor needs a decent cooler. The stock one looks kinda goofy...
I never owned an Intel proc until now, had only AMDs with stock cooling and i was fine with them...

goblinapoel

Aug 5, 2013
Guys,

I managed to OC the CPU to 4.3 via ASUS's software. I got 100C! But ASUS software mentions that when using Prime95, Aida etc, you may see extremely high temps. Should I tests this setting with Far Cry 3 for instance and check the temps? Is there apossibility to reach load conditions compared to Prime95's torture test (large-FFT?)?? Also, I order a HAF X case just to renew my RIG. It may help a little bit but not much with the temps. Only to change fans I needed around 70euros. I bought the case for 160 and I will sell my old one for 80. So is like spending 80. Anw. Really very confused yet! I also installed an ASUS GTX 670. Let's see...

Last edited:

moguai

Aug 8, 2013
Man, i've changed the cpu cooler and now my temps in full load are under 90 and 80 average with intel benchmark. With aida64 cpu stress test, i have like 75 76 average and 100% cpu usage. I ll try prime95 also...
So i suggest better invest in a cpu cooler than a bigger case...

Chipfiref

Aug 1, 2013
Late to this thread but a few things jump out at me...

Nec_V20, excellent discussion and explanation of how these fans work with a radiator, invaluable knowledge for liquid cooling with Corsair. Also I like your assesment of the Haswell manufacturing, nice use of a little hyperbole to describe intels TIM as an insulator. The TIM theoretically conducts some heat but compared to solder it is insulating the CPU package. With the variable gap between the CPU and the IHS many of us lose the lottery in one way or another.

goblinapoel, I recommend you just get a different case, It sounds as if your ambient temps are possibly too high to keep the temperatures with this case cool enough for a 4770K on air (with air cooling only). A case well designed for exhausting the hot air inside the case will probably work wonders for you, while allowing you to invest the least amount of money at this point. But once you have that optimal case, with your cooler you can probably even overclock if you carefully manually set the various voltage settings.

I will let someone more knowledgable than me recommend this type of case.

I thought Prime95 was not the best benchmarking tool for Haswell 4770K? Or is there a newer version that is good?

What we have here is failure to remediate...Haswells are hotter than Ivy and Sandy Bridge, sometimes very much hotter. Therefore you need at the least a fairly cool case to start with. Then you need better than average if not excellent air cooling such as a Noctua NH-U14S or some of the other well-engineered coolers. Or, you can go for a few more degrees and more complexity with a good liquid cooling system. Unfortunately for some Haswell owners, their processor packages are not the best specimens, and they also have borderline cooling capability with poor airflow, exhaust and/or inefficient cpu cooling.

IF you can remediate these issues you can recover nicely from an imperfect Haswell chip (I have done so). But if you treat it like it is an Ivy Bridge you may be throttling your performance and not even realize it. We know that throttling can occur when ramping up an application, or running multiple apps that begin to do some heavier lifting at the same time...

Spoken by someone who has actually delidded my hot 4770K, AND moved to a Noctua NH-U14S. My case is an old Coolermaster Cosmos with TWO fans on the top, one on the bottom, so case cooling is pretty good for me. I examined my Noctua cooler with a laser thermometer (about $20 online) and you can see the temps decreasing as you move up the aluminum fins Conservatively I saw a 20C temperature reduction from the Noctua cooler and a 20C reduction from delidding. I am not recomending delidding in your situation, but for anyone struggling with temps it is a very real solution!

Last edited: