Has there been a bigger and badder panderer than McCain?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm not a big McCain fan, but I'd say out of a sample of 20 "normal" professional politicians, McCain would probably come in 17th or lower in the pandering scale.

Just off the top of my head, remember Guiliani wearing the Red Sox cap after the World Series? Anyone who knows anything about Boston or NY, or about Guiliani, knows that was pandering par excellence.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Even as a partisan democratic, I have a certain respect for McCain as a basic honest politician. Even though the term honest is both relative and almost mutually exclusive with the word politician, few politicians have had as much difficulty with their own party and their conscience as John McCain. For that matter, despite many efforts to paint Huckabee as a religious nut, it does not square with his record as Arkansas Governor. A certain pragmatism over ideology is shared by both McCain and Huckabee. And I was thrilled to see the GOP electorate firmly reject Giuliani and Romney who, in my opinion, were total phonies.

But if people who are normally from the GOP want to bash McCain, it goes with the territory on P&N, just pardon me when I don't join in.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster
Yes. Her name is Mitt Romney.

fixed.

I don't think McCain's done a ton of pandering... he's done a bit to make amends with Bush and he changed his immigration stance to reflect reality, but I don't know that I'd even consider those to be pandering.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
I thought Shrillary couldn't pander more than than when she used her Aunt Jemima accent when speaking to blacks. Now that shes used crying on cue three times the day before a vote I can say shes exceeded even herself.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Pabster
Yes. Her name is Mitt Romney.

fixed.

I don't think McCain's done a ton of pandering... he's done a bit to make amends with Bush and he changed his immigration stance to reflect reality, but I don't know that I'd even consider those to be pandering.

Hillary is the Queen of panderers; Mitt is the King.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I don't think anyone can top the king, Bill Clinton, when it comes to pandering.