Discussion Has the Walking dead jumped the Zombie?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That is exactly who I was talking about.
This was the one that came to my mind (I just couldn't stand her Tara character):

3ACFDC4E00000578-3977362-image-m-2_1480314037576.jpg

Found this to be (somewhat) true, even though Tara appeared in a lot more episodes:

1k1pss.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kinda want to see what happens but at same time I don't really want to watch it anymore. Someone should make a TDLW version where it just goes through all the main points and deaths. Can probably condense one season into one episode. It's gotten too repetitive now. It's basically them vs whatever villains they run into.

There is no sign of any kind of conclusion and they are just spinning around at this point.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
There is no sign of any kind of conclusion and they are just spinning around at this point.
Pretty much spot on. They've lost a lot of viewers because of that.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/walkin...emiere-norman-reedus-danai-gurira-1202754868/
However, even more than last year, the audience of 4 million snared by Sunday’s “Lines We Cross” episode doesn’t actually tell the whole story – at least not in this era of television. The tale that is told is that TWD fell 34% in sets of eyeballs from the kickoff to Season 9 on October 7 last year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This was the one that came to my mind (I just couldn't stand her Tara character):

3ACFDC4E00000578-3977362-image-m-2_1480314037576.jpg

Found this to be (somewhat) true, even though Tara appeared in a lot more episodes:

1k1pss.jpg
I don't even remember either of those characters lol. Were they there through season 3 or 4?

I also should have put blonde in my description. It would have been a dead giveaway.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't even remember either of those characters lol. Were they there through season 3 or 4?
Seasons 4 through 9.
I also should have put blonde in my description. It would have been a dead giveaway.
At least Andrea (the blonde) gave fans a thong shot before leaving the show (plus I liked her performance in the Silent Hill movie). Tara just gave boring performances with really stupid plots. :p

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Hey now... they need to stretch out the "War with the Whispers" storyline for at least a few more episodes before they move onto the Commonwealth storyline. After that, I think that they're going to run out of content because the comic book is ending.

That's probably what the whole helicopter thing is about, and it's probably when we get to see Rick again. It would make for a good season finale, anyway.
I'm not familiar with the Commonwealth or comics but I actually hope they end it after this season, or at the very latest, next season. It's just gone on for far too long, and that's coming from a big fan of the show.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I will say this... if Negan and Alpha have a baby, that thing will end up being the most evil mofo in the universe :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I will say this... if Negan and Alpha have a baby, that thing will end up being the most evil mofo in the universe :)
They were talking about it on the radio this morning lol. It just reenforced that I made the correct decision about 6 years ago to stop watching this dumb fucking show.

Feb 4, 2009
They were talking about it on the radio this morning lol. It just reenforced that I made the correct decision about 6 years ago to stop watching this dumb fucking show.

That’s about the time I started watching much more casually. I tapped out a little after that.
People still watching have I missed anything?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
That’s about the time I started watching much more casually. I tapped out a little after that.
People still watching have I missed anything?

Nope, it's pretty terrible. The amount of advertising that they cram into a one hour episode now is insane.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
How long ago did they kill of Glen, i stopped watching that season

Sounds about right timing-wise ... unfortunately I hung in there for most of that season but it only became progressively harder to watch.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I wasn't really watching the episode (I was going in between rooms and on PC for most of the show), but my wife watched the new episode last night.

I just happened to walk through during the scene where Negan commented on the "your shit don't stink" scene, where Alpha pushed him into her........you know, at the end. I joked to my wife that Alpha and Negan should totally hook up. My wife said I was disgusting. And then later it actually happened. :D

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'd say shows don't need to go on for 75 seasons but I'm sure the actors just want to cash those checks. I loved season 1 of walking dead and enjoyed the prison/governor story line in season 3/4 era. But that was good for me. I didn't need any more than that.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I haven't watched it in a couple seasons...it became a chore to watch. Negan is really boring lol.

The problem with having to write a story while you're in production is that you're under a deadline to get the story out, which usually results in sub-par work. Just look at Lost...a solid 3-season show. Until it got extended to 6 seasons. So Seasons 1 & 2 were AMAZING, and then it went downnhill (and ended horribly). Whereas they cut Breaking Bad off with 5 seasons & did a stellar job pretty much every single episode (although some will argue about the fly episode during the writer's strike, haha).

I'll get caught up on the past couple of seasons...eventually.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd say shows don't need to go on for 75 seasons but I'm sure the actors just want to cash those checks. I loved season 1 of walking dead and enjoyed the prison/governor story line in season 3/4 era. But that was good for me. I didn't need any more than that.

That is pretty much my train of though too. After that the story just got repetitious. They should have followed that Eugene storyline with going to Washington, like instead of it turning out he was lying it should have been real and they eventually make it and find the cure etc.

Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah... it's back, with a new set of generic evil bad guys to replace the last set of generic evil bad guys.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah... it's back, with a new set of boring generic evil bad guys to replace the last set of boring generic evil bad guys.
FIFY. ;)

Honestly when they killed off most of the interesting characters (or the people suddenly disappeared like Maggie did) and basically rebooted the entire show, I just couldn't get into the show anymore.

For me, I think it happened because of all the whining they received for when Negan killed Glenn and Abraham. A lot of people online were crying and whining about it was being too graphic and so scary, so I think that's when the various people controlling the show began planning big changes that killed the enjoyment of watching the show.

My wife still watches it, and began watching the new spin-off/companion series 'The Walking Dead: A World Beyond'. I was in the room for a few of the episodes of that crappy show, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. A bunch of boring, whiny teenagers somehow not dying 5 minutes after they left their sanctuary city.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Gave up on Walking Dead right after the first Negan-season myself.

Shame more of these shows can't figure out a way to exit gracefully like Breaking Bad. Too greedy I suppose.

Reactions: UsandThem