Has the Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) problems with SSDs?

Throx66

Sep 5, 2010
Hi everyone,
first post at anandtech :) Like the topic suggests, I have a question regarding the MBP15' with SSDs. I was thinking about reviving my notebook with a ssd and read through the last SSD reviews of this side and decided more or less for the OCZ Vertex 2. Unfortunately at this time, I read something about apple problems in the OCZ forum which also points to a post of anand and the apple discussions. I am not sure, if I willing to spend so much money to have those problems. So I am wondering, does anyone know if this problem has been fixed or just occurs for some users? I couldn't find so much with keywords like "macbook ssd mid 2009 beachball freeze ssd" :\

Would really like to upgrade, hope bad apple hardware doesn't destroy that dream :(

Thanks in advance

p.s. English is not my native language, so please forgive me mistakes ():)

retnuh

Mar 3, 2004
I went with a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240GB SSD back when they came out.... end of May and have been extremely happy with it. No issues after awake from sleep and performance is great. I spend a lot of time inside VMs and there's a huge performance boost there. But I have a late 2008 MBP.

Throx66

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for your reply, but I think that the logic board of the late 2008 MBP is different and this particular error/behavior is not occurring there, if I am not mistaken.

Anyone a clue? I opened my MBP today to look out for revision or the logic board but I couldn't recognize anything about that :-/

FishAk

Jun 13, 2010
Apple doesn't support TRIM, do they? I think you will have to rely on the drive's native garbage collection.

Throx66

Sep 5, 2010
maybe I should have given a brief introduction about the problem itself, my mistake. As far as I know from the mentioned posts, the ssd has problems working in SATA II mode or isn't recognized at all. If recognized, the beachball of death appears quite often (so 30seconds waiting for the OS to reply to something, etc...) is not the kind of speed that you want to see. A solution is temporarly found in downgrading the EFI to 1.6 to "get rid" of SATA II and stick to SATA I, where the controller performance within its given bounds by the specification of SATA I.
So... the problem shouldn't be about trim, which is not implemented and garbage collection shouldn't work afaik at all in mac os x due to the hfs+ filesystem.

Are there any macbook pro users who have a ssd in their macbook pro MID 2009 (5,3)? If so, do you have problems with your ssd, only under OS X or also bootcamp?

Cable God

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
I went with a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240GB SSD back when they came out.... end of May and have been extremely happy with it. No issues after awake from sleep and performance is great. I spend a lot of time inside VMs and there's a huge performance boost there. But I have a late 2008 MBP.

I've got ~12 here running the same model MBP and OWC SSD with zero issues as well. Worth every cent.

asdfmacman

Nov 28, 2010
If recognized, the beachball of death appears quite often (so 30seconds waiting for the OS to reply to something, etc...) is not the kind of speed that you want to see
this exactly is the problem i have with my ocz agility 2 and I'm not happy at all obviously..
wouldn't recommend one, should have sticked to my old hdd
gonna put that back in