Has DivX Blocked Win7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Remember that lonely "mpg4c32.dll" sitting all by itself in a separate directory of the Win98 Gold Edition - It sure started a WAR.

MS never laid full claim to it as I believe they knew it would destroy the lucrative DVD Mpeg2 Industry, so Hackers like DivX and XviD gladly took it over to the point where Microsoft finally offered Native support in Win7 to play mpeg4 content and developed their own VR9 mpeg4 Encoder.

Well I came across something really strange loading Win7 x64. After installing DivX's LATEST Codec and Web Player and UN-Registering "DivXDec.au", I noticed Win7 x64 still played old mpg4c.32.dll, VR9 and XviD assembled mpeg4 but lost it's ability to play any mpeg4 assembled by DivX and the included Div3.1 and DivX 4,5,6 ...etc.

Am I missing something here or is the WAR Still Raging but coming form the other side where DivX has Blocked Microsoft from playing mpeg4 assembled by DivX once you have installed the DivX Codec.

I probably would never have noticed this if it were not for that I still like to make MPEG4 with either DivX or XviD using various audio with VirtualDub and let Win7 Natively play it back.

Wonder if there is a Filter I can Register to help out Microsoft - LOL

UpDate:

Man it even Hi-Jacks x264 Decoding.
Guess I could Lower the Merit Priority.

Other thoughts: I use XviD for most my mPeg4 Encoding. All I really wanted is the Web Player I don't think it requires the Full DivX Codec Pkg and it shouldn't Hi-Jack Win7's Native ability to Decode all mPeg4 including DivX assembled. The other reason I I prefer the DivX "DACC.AX" LC-AAC decoder over Core or MainConcept.

May be I'll Hi-Jack DivX "DAAC.AX". Uninstall the DivX Codec keeping the Web Player and Register their DivX "DAAC.AX"

Anything to save Win7's Native mPeg4 support - FUN EH!

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
UPDATE:

REGISTER - Codec: DivXDec.ax

UN-Register - DS Show Filters: daac.ax & DivXDecH264.ax

UN-Register - System32: XviD.ax

After all Codec's Installed:

Enable ZPlayer Smart Play then Click on Auto-Configure = VERY IMPORTANT after any Codec Change or Filter Config.

It is a FACT when the DivX Codec is installed that DivX assembled mPeg4 Media can only be decoded by DivXDec.ax and if you UN-Register DivXDec.ax the DivX Installation ensures that you can not play DivX assembled mPeg4 with Win7x64 Native support. If you Un-Install DivX Windows can Play DivX mPeg4.

With DivX Codec Installed Windows will use it's Native support to play any MS assembled & XviD encoded mPeg4.

At least when I UN-Registered the DivX DS Plus Filters Windows Native support was recognized for mPeg2\AC3 and H264\AAC.

I think DivX must be hiding MediaINFO_GUI in their latest installations because previous Version of DivX did not do this.

Anyway I'm satisfied that I can use their Encoder although I prefer XviD for a mPeg4 Encoder but still like the Option - LOL

I finally got Win7 x64 UAC TAMED - Very Interesting.

Still Loading Win7x64 - Spending a lot of time Re-Writing Scripts as half of them when transferred from my Win7 x86 Box don't work.

Man this i7 2700K with 16G's of Samsung MV-3V4G30-US can sure Encode - Having FUN :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.