Has cryptocurrency mining had a negative impact on DC projects?

Aug 26, 2004
Since there's a lot of cryptos out there these days that use GPUs/CPUs to secure their blockchains, I'm curious if this has caused a decline in DC participation rates since maybe people might rather mine than contribute to DC?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I would imagine it once did, back when mining was just taking off. Just for experimentation if nothing else. GPU's aren't as efficient now that dedicated ASIC machines are all the rage in mining.

Last edited:

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
i think it has... it has nothing to do with efficiency with when it comes to gpu verses asics. it's more to do with money. i was a big time cruncher for many years, but once i was able to make money off of crunching, i went from DCer to a Hasher.

I've been trying for awhile to get back into DC, but i have failed at it every time i've attempted. I can't get past the thought of crunching numbers for free again.

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Well if you want, try Gridcoin, to get back into crunching for 'free'. :\

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
So that's what happened to you, Jeepster. Glad you're still around someplace.

I would imagine mining has affected GPUs more than CPUs. But I could be wrong.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
I'll dip my toes back into it the second week of may...i'm moving from the east coast to dallas, tx and should be settled back in at that time. I've sold off most of my miners since i won't have the room anymore.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hi dajeepster, good to see you :).

I hope you crunch for us again, even if only a little, what are you looking at dipping your toes into?