Has China dishonored itself?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Butterbean

I dont compare getting 13 yr old kids to train and lie about their age as the same as an adult doping. P&N always has a jillion excuses for bad guys.

Yes it is far worse than doping. At least doping is done at the individual level. Cheating by allowing unqualified age groups or the male gender in female sport shows lack of character at multiple levels from athlete to coach to administration.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: Thump553
As far as they gymnists go, as I understand the rule they are supposed to turn age 16 this year. No way half of those Chinese girls were over 12. This is far more serious, and is actual fraud upon the Olympics if proven.

IOC has said they will not be investigating.

Because they don't want to offend the host country. Just like they first agreed to censorship.

it's really pretty pathetic.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: Thump553
As far as they gymnists go, as I understand the rule they are supposed to turn age 16 this year. No way half of those Chinese girls were over 12. This is far more serious, and is actual fraud upon the Olympics if proven.

IOC has said they will not be investigating.

Because they don't want to offend the host country. Just like they first agreed to censorship.

it's really pretty pathetic.

Agreed. It's amazing how all the times He's age was listed before they were all mistakes... never mind the fact that she looks like a child.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
An article by Xinhua is hardly "proof", since they will be the first to admit they made a mistake.

I'm talking about something that can't be dismissed as a mistake, like a birth certificate, passport, or other official document. Not a newspaper article.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm talking about something that can't be dismissed as a mistake, like a birth certificate, passport, or other official document. Not a newspaper article.
A trail of newspaper articles, covering a span of time, are a better indicator of age than "official" documents that can easily be fabricated.

The IOC wont investigate out of fear...don't want to insult the host nation...but the stench of Communism is all over this story.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
It's a stupid rule. Let's assume that it is true that women gymnast are at their prime when they are 14 years old. Why have a rule that prevents people at their prime from competing? Can you imagine this happening at other sports? "Ummm, I'm sorry, we don't allow running backs at their prime -- you have to wait until you are 34 years old before you are allow to play in the NFL".

What kind of sport is it that prevents little girls from competing for fear of getting your a$$ kicked by them? "Oh noessss! They have 14 year old girls on their team! We're gonna get our a$$ kicked!"

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Basically just China showing itself to be China as usual. Too bad the IOC doesn't have the guts to strip them of the medals as it should.

When Marion Jones was found to be doping when she won all those medals, they stripped her of the medals, which was the correct thing to do. They should do the same now.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
The ChiComs cheating?? Nah that's hard to believe:roll:
I'd have been more surprised if they weren't.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Look on the bright side guys. At least nobody died over this Chinese government lie.

That's more than I can say about our own leaders.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: StormRider
It's a stupid rule. Let's assume that it is true that women gymnast are at their prime when they are 14 years old. Why have a rule that prevents people at their prime from competing? Can you imagine this happening at other sports? "Ummm, I'm sorry, we don't allow running backs at their prime -- you have to wait until you are 34 years old before you are allow to play in the NFL".

What kind of sport is it that prevents little girls from competing for fear of getting your a$$ kicked by them? "Oh noessss! They have 14 year old girls on their team! We're gonna get our a$$ kicked!"

As has been explained in the MSM, the rule is there for the benefit of the children themselves. Physicians etc have determined that their young bodies (joints, tendons etc) should not be exposed to the stresses of such high-level training as is required for the Olympics.

Fern

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Look on the bright side guys. At least nobody died over this Chinese government lie.

:disgust:

You really are a class AA troll.

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003

They DO have rules in professional sports saying they must be a certain age to be able to play in the league, e.g. in the NBA you have to be at least one year removed now from High School to play in the league. Maybe a few are physically able to succeed sooner (e.g. Lebron James), but for every Lebron there are numerous ones who skipped college/life and failed miserably at making the NBA.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: rsd

They DO have rules in professional sports saying they must be a certain age to be able to play in the league, e.g. in the NBA you have to be at least one year removed now from High School to play in the league. Maybe a few are physically able to succeed sooner (e.g. Lebron James), but for every Lebron there are numerous ones who skipped college/life and failed miserably at making the NBA.

The NFL also has that type of fule (see Maurice Clarrett), supposedly for the protection of the athlete, but in reality protection for college football and the NFL.

Either way, if the rule is dumb or not, it's the rule, and the fact that the chicoms were willing to flagrantly break it should be enough to strip them of the medals.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Who cares if it is stupid - if gymnists are better when younger, like you're suggesting, then everyone who isn't disobeying the rules is at a disadvantage to China. Whether or not the rule is stupid doesn't matter - China is cheating if these gymnists are younger than 16.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Yeah, the Chinese are busy killing their own and suppressing dissidents. Are you seriously sticking up for the Chinese government?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
I never really understood the age requirement to begin with... Nadia Comaneci at 14 was leagues better than anyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5gR0g8lHIs
Jesus H. Christ, that second rotation clip was unbelievable.
Good Lord, how is a person doing that? She is LEAGUES above anybody else in this current Olympics. Some of those twists and tricks are obscene.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Baloo
Wow! so a 13-year-old can outperform an older more experienced competitor. Just wow!

The issue is body size and maturity. The average Chinese is 77 lb and the average American 106. This gives the Chinese team a profound advantage in physics and the small size is youth related.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Perry404
What did they do... Photoshop the fireworks?
Not letting a little girl sing because she's not pretty enough?

Now caught cheating?

This is really sad. China has been dominating the olympics with 20 gold medals. I can't help but wonder now if there are any other surprises waiting.

I don't care about the fireworks or even the little girl but this is cheating and yes, dishonorable.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
of course they have genuine passports, why wouldn't the chinese gov't issue real passports with fake birthdates? heck, my current US passport says i'm 5 years old than i am because the clerk couldn't tell the difference between a 4 and a 9.

Andrew: This is the worst fake ID I've ever seen. Do you realize you made yourself sixty eight?
Brian: Oh, I know...I know, I goofed it...
Andrew: What do you need a fake ID for?
Brian: (like it's obvious) So I can vote!