Has case design fallen since the coolermaster ATC series?

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
I've been looking at some of the old coolermaster ATC models and I just feel that they look so much better than anything currently out right now.

here's some pics for a refresh-
ATC 110 (the BEST looking case ever made in my opinion. PLEASE rerelease an updated model of this with 120mm fans) http://www.tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1032978087.jpg

ATC 210 (awesome case design, but lacking in cooling)- http://www.easy-mod.com/emcontent/inhal...2/pics/coolermaster_atc-210-vx2_02.jpg

ATC 220 (mine)- http://www.frozen-silicon.de/prodpics/coolermaster_atc220b_alublue.JPG

I don't get why silverstone hasn't made anything that is up to the looks of their old ATC series.... Sure, the 210/220 series had pretty bad cooling, but the design of the 110 MUST be used again.

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
I'd tend to agree, from a pure styling point of view, but there's more to a case than style.

The primary job of the case is to house the hardware in a protected, and airflow controlled environment. In the two+ years since the ATC110 was released, we've seen the Antec SLK3x00 series, the Sonata, P180, P150 among others, all of which provide a great platform to build a quality system in.

Since I subscribe to the "form follows function" school of thought, I'd much rather have a case that works well and looks so-so as opposed to the other way around.

My 2¢, FWIW! :)

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have to agree. Aside from a few Lian Li's, CoolerMaster's, and Silver Stones the vast majority of the new stuff is crap in terms of style.

The ATC line was/is the best built looking cases ever made. I haven't seen the ATC 110 before, that is pretty nice...

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Well I wouldn't agree that Coolermaster's design has fallen off, in terms of aesthetics. The Wavemaster is better looking than either of those, I think.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
yawwwwwn

gezzz for all the cool stuff u put in ur pcs, you guys sure seem to like a BOX, oh look so square, so silver, so one color BLAND.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
The team responsible for the ATC cases have supposedly left Coolermaster a few years back and formed Silvertone.

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Originally posted by: bR
The team responsible for the ATC cases have supposedly left Coolermaster a few years back and formed Silvertone.

Yeah, I was aware of that and I can definently tell sometimes that there's a resemblance but I don't know... it still hasn't struck me to be as elegant as the ATC line was.

Oh and for a lot of you saying how the newer cases function better, that's definently true. But I would think the overall polish, quality, and style of the cases would improve as well.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
When you are as close as possible to perfection in "form follows function", about all you can do is add features. Some others have added rubber mounted hard drives, removable HD racks, toolless features, 120mm fans f/r etc. I don't think anything has surpassed the basic 10 or 11 bay case design like that until the P180 - that is too large for most needs and overly complicated IMO. KISS! Short of the elegance of a finely trimmed, heavy aluminum exterior, the Antec 3000 series is about the pinnacle of the 10/11 bay case.
. All I could ask is for a little more room, say 2 inches in both height and depth to give a bit more clearance around the mobo and a bit more air space around each HD. Then just hand the basic design to CM or Silverstone and let them execute it in finely polished and chiseled heavy aluminum (one model with door, the other without). Since perfection isn't allowed in the universe we inhabit, that would be as good as it gets.

.bh.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
My first good case was a CoolerMaster ATC-101. It was awesome. Had it all the way up until I replaced it with my current beast...

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I think what happened was that kids started buying those butt-ugly "gaming" cases and manufacturers over-reacted and overproduced the ugly cases.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I'm a big fan of the ATC-201 series. Mine is about 2.5 years old and it still looks great, but I'm not so happy with its cooling performance. The filter is difficult to clean and there aren't many things in the way of features. I like nearly everything that Silverstone puts out, but I think the P180 is one of the most functionally gorgeous cases. It's not flashy, but every part of it has a purpose. Maybe I'd like it more if it were all aluminum. :)