Has anyone used Accutane?

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000
Just looking for some personal experiences with this medication. Im looking forward to cleaning up :) Oh yeah, BTW, anyone know any good online references for this stuff? or stuff related to it.

Thanks a bunch

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: rbloedow
No, but then again, I'm not a pimple farmer.
Seriously, stay the fvck out of threads. Shouldn't you be delivering pizzas anyways?

For some, it is genetic. Both of my parents had bad acne as teens as did I. I took accutane and it cleared me up immediately.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Seriously, stay the fvck out of threads.

For some, it is genetic.

Wow - I touched a nerve :p No need to take it so seriously, it's a joke :p

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
I took it when I was younger, and it did a good job, but my skin was ultra dry..and it gave me bad (to the point of bleeding) chapped lips.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Wow - I touched a nerve :p
No. You constantly troll threads poking fun of user's for somethings that may be beyond their control. Not to mention you come off as an ass in Forum Issues.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Seriously, stay the fvck out of threads.

For some, it is genetic.

Wow - I touched a nerve :p No need to take it so seriously, it's a joke :p

I'm not usually one to comment about what other people say, but I respect minendo. The second part of your sentence was unnecessary.

Bill

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Also, It was genetic for me... Started when I was around 13 at 18 it's still giving me problems...

Bill

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: AntMan530
Just looking for some personal experiences with this medication. Im looking forward to cleaning up :) Oh yeah, BTW, anyone know any good online references for this stuff? or stuff related to it.

Thanks a bunch

I would think twice about taking it personally. I took it as a teen and it wrecked my back and knees. It causes joint pain in many people and MANY other problems. If you go to Google and search for Accutane, you will see all the warnings etc...
Roche Labs
FDA

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGameIs21
Originally posted by: AntMan530

Thanks a bunch

I would think twice about taking it personally. I took it as a teen and it wrecked my back and knees. It causes joint pain in many people and MANY other problems. If you go to Google and search for Accutane, you will see all the warnings etc...
Roche Labs
FDA

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
It has also been linked to depression. The only side effect I suffered was extremely dry skin which led to immediate sun burn when outside. Not to mention my lips were extremely chapped.

We can provide information and experiences, but most importantly, consult your doctor.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Anyone that would risk the side effects just to clear up some pimples is a vain moron.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: DougK62
Anyone that would risk the side effects just to clear up some pimples is a vain moron.
Every medication carries with it side effects. I suppose you never take medication?

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000

I took it and had no problems except for dry lips.

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001

Vain moron ='s any male or female between the age of 13 and 25.

The side effects are severe but so is the side effect of not having friends because you are so concerned that they will make fun of your zits. As a teen, my face hurt bad and was stiff from my condition. I couldn't smile without pain and/or a zit popping. I couldn't play football because if I had a trauma to my face it would have split open like a mellon. Unless you were there, don't think you know what you are talking about.

I knew how bad I wanted my face to stop hurting and I knew that I wouldn't feel comfortable meeting new people etc let alone a girlfriend, I wanted to go back to playing football (which I had to quit due to the joint problems that I developed). It was worth it as a teen because my peers were teens too and most teens don't have a forgiving mind when it comes to people with acne. I could have hung out with older people that didn't care but these were my peers. I got tired of the routine of taking meds and having blood tests etc... To this day, my face will occasionally get as bad as it did in my teens (I'm in my 30's now) and as an adult, I won't go back on it because my peers are able to ignore my skin condition.

[edit] I will also say that when I started taking it ('84 I think) they only knew it could cause birth defects and liver problems which is why I had many blood tests for my liver. With the newer information out, I am not sure my folks wouldn't have approved me taking it but I would have insisted due to my physical pain. [/edit]

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
I took it when I was younger, and it did a good job, but my skin was ultra dry..and it gave me bad (to the point of bleeding) chapped lips.

same here but it made a huge difference. I'm 29 now I took it when I was 16 or 17 for like 6 months. bad skin runs in my family but is been a lot better ever since.

I still have to use chapstick though :(

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
I had dry skin and my lips were chapped to that point also. People asked me if I was wearing cherry chapstick or lipstick. :disgust:

The side effects are severe but it works for the most part. It didn't work for my sister, however. She just had a bald spot the size of a quarter on top of her head and really dry skin. For some reason, she didn't get chapped lips.

Go with Proactiv. That stuff really works and it has no side effects.

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
I took it for the 20 week period or whatever it was.

I would seriously consider it before you start on it. Yes, it did help me A LOT. Cleared me up and I have had pretty clean skin since (1.5 years).

I took it cuz I had painful acne all over my back and shoulders, it hurt to sit in a chair and i bled like crazy after drying off from a shower - ruined quite a few shirts before I figured something out.

Anywho, my skin got really really dry, especially around my mouth. I was moody/sorta depressed. That all was just temporary though, the major thing that bothers me is how it effects your body. I am now finally returning to my normal metabolism. During my usage of the drug and since then, any injuries took twice as long to heal as they normally would have. I am just now getting back to reasonable healing times.

Just a few warnings/things to possibly expect.

Good luck, I hope it clears up soon.