Has anyone tried RadeonPro for microstuttering?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Personal preference, I find 40 fps fairly unplayable on either single or MGPU.

In your first example with an average of 70 fps, why not cap it to 59/60/62/66? With an average of 70, how much of the time do you think it will be below 60?
A majority of the time (when you can achieve 60fps) it will be better than without a cap, and a small amount of the time (when fps drop below 60) it will be exactly the same as you play now, without a cap. You don't lose anything, but gain smooth ms free gameplay most of the time.

Sure, frame metering would be great and I'm all for it, but atm, you can get fluid, ms free gameplay if you have enough GPU performance.

Well it depends on the length of the minimums. As I said, for example in Skyrim there are long periods of lower fps outside and long periods of higher fps inside. Or GTA 4 with mods and SSAA - at day fps might be okay, but at night they most certainly will be lower with all the lights and night shadows. I don't mind if I have to endure microstutter for a few moments here and there, but for prolongued periods it's a nogo.

omeds

Dec 14, 2011
Well, you need more GPU performance or to drop settings if you want consistent ms free gameplay. Like I said earlier, if you want better quality, you need the horsepower to do it, its as simple as that.
If you dont have the horsepower you are going to have to make compromises, either in the form of lower IQ, or put up with lower, choppy performance. You simply cannot have your cake and eat it too with hardware that is not powerful enough to do what you want.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
so what is the bottomline?

since the panel are 60hz.
(1) have hardware that exceed the 60fps threshold. then use radeonpro to cap it at 60?
(2) if not enough hardware to reach the 60fps threshold, then drop setting to exceed the 60fps threshold. then use radeonpro to cap it at 60?

please confirm.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
so what is the bottomline?

since the panel are 60hz.
(1) have hardware that exceed the 60fps threshold. then use radeonpro to cap it at 60?
(2) if not enough hardware to reach the 60fps threshold, then drop setting to exceed the 60fps threshold. then use radeonpro to cap it at 60?

please confirm.

Also try Vsync on and off.
Dynamic Vsync in the RadeonPro beta can also solve it.

If all else fails cry.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
With an average of 70, how much of the time do you think it will be below 60?

A pretty substantial number of frames. That's sort of the definition of microstutter ;) You have to stop thinking about average fps. Even one frame with a 20+ms delivery time in that situation can be a distraction.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Also try Vsync on and off.
Dynamic Vsync in the RadeonPro beta can also solve it.

If all else fails cry.

right now - i think the latter option is the most pausable. :'(

afterall - spending $1500 on just gpu and monitor only to be greeted with microstutter.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
right now - i think the latter option is the most pausable. :'(

afterall - spending $1500 on just gpu and monitor only to be greeted with microstutter.

Why did you resurrect three different threads from various times in the past to say the same thing over and over?

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Why did you resurrect three different threads from various times in the past to say the same thing over and over?

as for this thread. wanted to further verify if radeonpro reallie works as claimed.
as for the driver thread. wanted to isolate it as a driver issue and which particular diver did worked.
as for the what is microstutter thread. wanted to post video link as it did not have one.

so as you can clearly see. three different thread with three different purprose. definitley not the same thing over and over.

perhap instead of resurrecting 3 thread. i could post a new thread (1) defining microstutter, (2)then ask which driver would fix it, (3) then ask if third party radeonpro actually works.

what does surprise me is - microstutter is a real issue. yet most users do not even realize it.
the old sang. what you do not know will not hurt you. do hold true. ignorance is bliss.
wish i did not notice it either.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
microstutter is a real issue. yet most users do not even realize it

Everyone perceives the world slightly differently. I envy those who can't tell the difference between 40 fps and 60 fps, and who don't notice medium amounts of microstutter. Sadly, it drives me batty to a point where I'll not play a game if it isn't smooth.

Of course, at the same time, I am perfectly content with mediocre sound.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
perhap instead of resurrecting 3 thread. i could post a new thread (1) defining microstutter, (2)then ask which driver would fix it, (3) then ask if third party radeonpro actually works.

:thumbsup:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Well it depends on the length of the minimums. As I said, for example in Skyrim there are long periods of lower fps outside and long periods of higher fps inside. Or GTA 4 with mods and SSAA - at day fps might be okay, but at night they most certainly will be lower with all the lights and night shadows. I don't mind if I have to endure microstutter for a few moments here and there, but for prolongued periods it's a nogo.

That's the key to me are the "sustained" minimums as well.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Well, you need more GPU performance or to drop settings if you want consistent ms free gameplay. Like I said earlier, if you want better quality, you need the horsepower to do it, its as simple as that.
If you dont have the horsepower you are going to have to make compromises, either in the form of lower IQ, or put up with lower, choppy performance. You simply cannot have your cake and eat it too with hardware that is not powerful enough to do what you want.

Imho,

Indeed! Gaming has always been about trade-offs and compromises, which based on individual's subjective tastes and tolerances may differ. The key is if one desires less limitations or trade-offs, the more powerful hardware are always welcomed choices to consider.

omeds

Dec 14, 2011
A pretty substantial number of frames. That's sort of the definition of microstutter ;) You have to stop thinking about average fps. Even one frame with a 20+ms delivery time in that situation can be a distraction.

Point is, it's still a benefit the majority of the time, over not using a frame cap.

If you want to make sure you never drop below the frame cap, you need to lower IQ settings or get faster hardware.. ;)