Has anyone tried RadeonPro for microstuttering?

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by wand3r3r, Nov 8, 2012.

1. wand3r3r

wand3r3r Diamond Member

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - RadeonPro microstuttering Forum Date
    Microstuttering when playing back blu-rays and MKV files Video Cards and Graphics Mar 3, 2015
    Why do certain games work in RadeonPro for other people but not me? Video Cards and Graphics Jan 1, 2015
    What is the Nvidia equivalent to RadeonPro? Video Cards and Graphics Dec 13, 2014
    Alternative to RadeonPro Video Cards and Graphics Mar 21, 2014
    RadeonPro -AMD's version of Shadowplay? Video Cards and Graphics Oct 30, 2013

3. SirPauly

SirPauly Diamond Member

That example looks impressive.

4. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Platinum Member

It's a framerate cap. How else would the frametime values be so constant? So it really isn't anything new, this was possible years ago with Dxtory, Bandicam etc.

Obviously, scaling suffers with this. In the beginning of my SLI days I employed a limiter too, but now I don't because the compromise is too severe.

5. lavaheadache

lavaheadache Diamond Member

It's not just a frame cap there buddy. It is also even frame distibution. Not the same thing.

I have crossfire 7970's. When I get home, after I feed the animals, beat the wife and kid, I'm going to try this out and report back. I'm very sensitive to microstutter and always looking to minimize it's appearance.

6. felang

felang Senior member

Is this the same as Nvidia Adaptive VSYNC?

7. boxleitnerb

I don't know why, but it is the same thing. When I experience microstutter and I employ an fps limiter, the result is exactly the same. Even frametimes, no microstutter. I know it doesn't make sense, but I guess the framerate limiters have some distribution or timing function built in already.

8. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Senior member

So this appears to require limiting your FPS to some value below 60?

As an owner of a 120hz monitor, that would not be acceptable in any way. I try to keep my FPS pegged at 120 whenever possible. So far I've found adaptive Vsync to be very useful in this regard.

9. wand3r3r

wand3r3r Diamond Member

No that's not how it works.

10. DiogoDX

DiogoDX Senior member

You have 2 diferent features: DVC (adaptavie vsync) e DFC (frame cap)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322031

11. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

I've been wondering about this too. That review showed it outperforming Nvidia's Frame Metering in SLi. Which is actually good for both camps because this is a software solution so I'm sure someone will get something similar going in SLi.

12. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

Not to start a flame war, but leave it to AMD to rely on a third-party to solve the issue. They should really build something like this into a real driver release. Even though there isn't an 'AMD' 7990, this would still be a big help for those with 7970 and 7950 CF setups. The results speak for themselves, and I wonder how many people have no idea this exists. I just heard about it when reading the same review the OP linked to.

13. lavaheadache

Just to test out your theory, I will use Afterburner tonight and employ a frame limiter and post my objective results

14. lavaheadache

AMD does kind of blow when it comes to support. I have a lot more faith in their actual hardware though. You know how many nVidia cards I have baked back to life? ;)

15. Bryf50

Bryf50 Golden Member

Wow. This looks great. Can't wait to try it out.

16. Final8ty

Final8ty Golden Member

Most AMD users do know it exists and Nvinspector is also third-party.

17. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Most? Not a chance.

Some enthusiasts, sure.

18. sontin

sontin Diamond Member

It's exactly the same thing. What do you think is limiting the frames to a number under the full performance? Right a "even frame distibution" because the gpus are not the limiting factor.

19. Final8ty

Final8ty Golden Member

The link to It has been on AMDs site for years and the reason the author has taken it up again is because AMD is sponsoring him..

There has not been a single enthusiasts forum i that i go to that does not have threads about it and im talking about enthusiasts as others don't know there ass from there elbows and they would not know how to use it anyway.
    The same goes for Nvinspector, Afterburner, ext cc these enthusiasts tools.

#18 Final8ty, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  20. SPBHM

SPBHM Diamond Member

I only have a single card, but I also used a framerate limit to have smoother gameplay in some occasions, using dxtory, or years ago "FPS limiter 2.0"

21. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I'm sorry but limiting your framerate because you get microstutter is unacceptable. Now Nvidia doesn't have 100% elimination of micro stutter in SLI but it's a ton better than AMD without limiting your fps. This solution is not good enough IMO.

22. lavaheadache

I have no problem limiting my frame rate if it is above what my monitor can display. What is the purpose of 150 fps if you can't see them?

23. omeds

omeds Senior member

It's a frame rate cap. This method has always cleaned up microstutter fairly well, either by using in game console commands, inspector (Nv), and now radeon pro for AMD.

Use a 125fps cap for 120hz :thumbsup:

24. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

This.

It SHOULD be an option for the card in the official driver. The fact that you need a third party is ridiculous. Kudos to the author for making it, but shame on AMD for slacking on not making it available for everyone.

25. boxleitnerb

In the beginning of my SLI days I would have disagreed, being overly enthusiastic about minimized microstutter. Now I agree. You would have to set the limit to your lowest fps, otherwise it won't work all the time. That simply destroys scaling.

But there is one exception:
    If you're playing with vsync anyway and still get stutter, you could limit to 60fps which can also help.

26. lavaheadache

a hah hah hah hah haaaaaa yes!!!! Just ran crysis 2 maxed out @2560 with crossfire 7970's with zero detectable microstutter (to me anyways). Just used a simple frame cap in Afterburner and voila!!!!! Finally after all these years of me bashing multi gpu I will actually start recommeding it. I am a believer. I'm actually going to go back and fire up some of my old rigs to see if this will work for them too.