Question Has anyone tried a low powered Intel N100 processor yet? Successor to Jasper Lake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
The i5 6400 is a 65W CPU, no way that perf/watt has been increased by a 4 factor from 14nm to 10nm
It's not just the process, but also the cores. Gracemont is Skylake class IPC, not power. And there's 8 of them.

Reactions: hemedans

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
It's not just the process, but also the cores. Gracemont is Skylake class IPC, not power. And there's 8 of them.
Right that with 8C perf/watt could be increased 4x comparatively to a 14nm based 4C/4T SKL but there s 4 cores in both the N100 and N95, 8C is for the N300 and N305.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Right that with 8C perf/watt could be increased 4x comparatively to a 14nm based 4C/4T SKL but there s 4 cores in both the N100 and N95, 8C is for the N300 and N305.

Ah yeah, forgot about that weird split with the full die. Even so, GRT is better than just a shrunk Skylake.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Ah yeah, forgot about that weird split with the full die. Even so, GRT is better than just a shrunk Skylake.

It s not better, SKL has way more throughput if the code can make full use of the theorical max throughput without relying on SMT, think about it, in Wprime 1024M a 4C/4T SKL at 3.3GHz does 327 seconds while a 2.8Ghz (in MT) GRT in a N95 is at 535s, at 3.3Ghz it would be at 454s.

That s a huge difference and it s more representative of actual perf in generic softwares than Cinebench wich is FP focused, Wprime is also about arithmetic computing but mainly using integer numbers.

They didnt use a shrinked SKL as e-core because it would have been quite bigger in area.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
SKL has way more throughput if the code can make full use of the theorical max throughput without relying on SMT
That is not what the vast majority of code looks like, however, and the empirical testing results show it. Besides, for the stated use cases, you don't need a ton of vec throughput.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Once you receive it please let us know what your thoughts on it.
Im still thinking it will be a waking nightmare with Blue Iris and a USB Drive on USB 3.0.

As for a PFsense box, it will perform magnificently and probably have more power then my Ubiquiti UDM PRO SE even.
I may not bother with Blue Iris on it, at least on a production scale. i may play with it though. I have a i5-6600 box provisioned for my blue iris machine.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
That is not what the vast majority of code looks like, however, and the empirical testing results show it. Besides, for the stated use cases, you don't need a ton of vec throughput.

Your point was that a shrinked SKL wouldnt be better, wich is not the case, beside i stated 3.3GHz but NBC pointed that it didnt get over 3.1GHz even in ST, so that put things yet at another level, in CB R15 ST (up to SSE 4.2) the N95 score 123 pts while this SKL manage 134 pts at 3.1Ghz.

Unfortunately there s not a lot of tests for the 6400, but obviously SKL is one if not two gen ahead of GRT despite Intel claiming that it is on par in integer code.

That being said a N95/100 is enough for basic needs like browsing, social medias and has the advantage of an up to date video engine, but that s about all, even if power drain is minimalistic, the 8C variant is much more relevant when it comes to futur usability.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Your point was that a shrinked SKL wouldnt be better, wich is not the case
By what logic?
but obviously SKL is one if not two gen ahead of GRT despite Intel claiming that it is on par in integer code
They're effectively even in IPC across a range of workloads, not just pure int. Have you not looked at any of the benchmarks since ADL came out?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
By what logic?
Dunno, seems that you dont rememeber your own sayings..

They're effectively even in IPC across a range of workloads, not just pure int.

Precisely Intel stated that they are equal in Integer, without saying the same for FP..

Have you not looked at any of the benchmarks since ADL came out?

Should we take ADL with P cores and try to deduct what is the e-cores perfs by gross evaluation ?..

And arent NBC s N95 review filled with benchmarks and way more relevant when it comes to know the perf precisely.?.

Saying better, on par or worse without tests mean nothing, so far available numbers are what they are, even if they dont please the egos.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Dunno, seems that you dont rememeber your own sayings..
That has what to do with the IPC claims you're making here?
Precisely Intel stated that they are equal in Integer, without saying the same for FP..
So you've been making claims without bothering to do any research on their accuracy? Here're some starting points:

Saying better, on par or worse without tests mean nothing
The data exists regardless of you being too lazy to look it up.