has anyone seen the japanese movies about a blind swordmen called Zatoichi?

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
i have been watching some movies about a blind swordman named Zatoichi on 'samurai saturdays' on one fo the satellite channels, and i had some questions if anyone knows about them.

Is he soem kind of japanese folk hero?
how many movies about him are there.
whats the back story on him

thanks for the help :)

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Dunno much about Zatoichi, though I've watched several of his flicks. I believe there are at least 4 Zatoichi flicks. Not sure of much beyond that.

It's on Independant Film Channel innit?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
www.animeigo.com and imdb.com should have some material on him. There are much more than 4 movies.

If you like Zatoichi you really should rent Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai, both are available at netflix.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
I don't think he's a particular "folk hero" but he is the typical japanese samurai loner that goes against all odds. See also: shogun assassin.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: yukichigai
Dunno much about Zatoichi, though I've watched several of his flicks. I believe there are at least 4 Zatoichi flicks. Not sure of much beyond that.

It's on Independant Film Channel innit?

Yes i believe its IFC, i think the movies are pretty good

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald
I don't think he's a particular "folk hero" but he is the typical japanese samurai loner that goes against all odds. See also: shogun assassin.
except don't see it as the butchered Shogun Assassin, see it as the original Sword of Vengeance
IMDB and its sequels. SoV aka Wolf With Cub is definitely another samurai classic (except the last few which got a little absurd)

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
i've watched a couple of them on saturdays on IFC(samurai saturdays). they're especially good because you can turn the volume down and just read the subtitles which comes in handy when trying to put a baby to sleep.