Has anyone seen Redacted?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Redacted is a film written and directed by Brian De Palma that premiered at the 2007 Venice Film Festival, where it earned a Silver Lion "best director" award.[2].

It is a drama based on the Mahmudiyah killings, the rape, murder, and burning of Abeer Qasim Hamza al-Janabi, a 14-year-old Iraqi girl in March 2006 by U.S. soldiers who also killed her parents and younger sister.[3][4]

The film is scheduled for a limited release in the U.S. in November 2007 and another limited release in the U.S. in late 2007. The film was shot in Jordan.[5]

Wikipedia Link

I actually haven't finished the film completely however I must say it definitely reminds of the naivety of youth and definitely hits your emotions hard.

StepUp

May 12, 2004
Haven't seen it but looks very interesting; where are you watching? You can PM me the answer to that question if you prefer.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I haven't seen it yet but am very interested after listening to a radio interview with DePalma. Did you know that nearly all the still pictures at the end (just before the credits) are real (if they are still in the movie-DePalma spoke about a huge fight with the financial backers and lawyers over this). As he originally conceived it, the only staged photos are those directly relating to the specific instances shown in the movie.

Edit: PS-the radio piece I listened to is (I think) the one linked at the end of the wikipedia article linked in the first post here.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Thump553
I haven't seen it yet but am very interested after listening to a radio interview with DePalma. Did you know that nearly all the still pictures at the end (just before the credits) are real (if they are still in the movie-DePalma spoke about a huge fight with the financial backers and lawyers over this). As he originally conceived it, the only staged photos are those directly relating to the specific instances shown in the movie.

Edit: PS-the radio piece I listened to is (I think) the one linked at the end of the wikipedia article linked in the first post here.

While I don't have any sources specific to site that part about how there was a pregnant women in labor drove through a U.S Military was shot and killed in the movie I believe it is true. What I found really frightening was that 2,000 Iraqi have been shot driving through U.S Military Checkpoint while only 60 of them have been confirmed as Insurgents. As, for the rest of the movie I am not so sure... What's based of a true event and what isn't...

So much for winning heats and minds... :(
rose.gif

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Redacted is a disgusting film. It's nothing but an anti-war, anti-military fluff piece for left-wing nuts to suck up. But apparently they're rejecting it too, because the $$$ figures are abysmal.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster
Redacted is a disgusting film. It's nothing but an anti-war, anti-military fluff piece for left-wing nuts to suck up. But apparently they're rejecting it too, because the $$$ figures are abysmal.

Have you seen it? It's definitely anti-war but I don't think it's anti-military...

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002

Don't worry Pablum, the GOP will release their redacted version, you know the family values musical comedy with the happy ending,
where the Scarecrow gets the girl.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tab

Have you seen it? It's definitely anti-war but I don't think it's anti-military...
Pabby is unable to differentiate between the two.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Pabster, your unasailable logic has persuaded me to change my mind. Henceforth I shall be pro-war.

In case some libby pinko asks me, what again are the reasons war is ALWAYS good?

Apr 17, 2003
I'd watch it if I can get a free crack at it just to be able to objectively evaluate it, but until that happens, De Palma isnt gonna get a dollar from me.

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Tab

Pabby is unable to differentiate between the two.

many people can't make that differentiation, and thus the risk of furthering anti-military sentiment.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Thump553
In case some libby pinko asks me, what again are the reasons war is ALWAYS good?
It's the economy, stupid. ;)