Has anyone oc'ed barton 2500 with stock HSF and by how much?

momento

Jun 4, 2003
I am new at oc. I have oc'ed the 2500 to 2.1ghz with stock HSF. After 2 hours of gaming, the temp on chip is around 55 degree celcius. I am hesitant to overclock any further due the risk that the chip might just die on me.

Anyone has tried something like this? (i undestand enthusiasts will definitely buy better HSF. I am just wondering the possibility of oc'ing with stock HSF.)

Thanks

specs:retail 2500+, 8rda+, 1g pc 2700 kingston

momento

Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by: nick1985
OCing 2500 with retail HSF = ERtarded

The answer is a simple yes or no. Yours is no where near helpful.

Thanks CastorTr0y for the info. Appreciate it.

momento

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
If you go through the listing on cpudatabase then you'll see several said they overclocked just fine using stock cooling. Highest being @ 2400.

So I believe your answer is yes. But temps might be a bit higher than you want. Myself, I don't like anything past 50c.

rocketbubba

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
I just bought the same chip and I'm using the stock HSF for now. Mine's running around 52C under load and it's not OC'd, so 55C while OC'd to 2.1 doesn't sound all that bad. But I wouldn't push it further until you get some better cooling.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I bought retail too, because it was on sale at newegg! With the retails, the HSF comes glued on right?

momento

Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Jadow
I bought retail too, because it was on sale at newegg! With the retails, the HSF comes glued on right?

Yeap, HSF comes with some sort of glue/thermal compound.

Dustswirl

May 30, 2002
Phase changing TIM ;) it's not as good as ASI/II/III and other ceramic stuff but it's better then nothing :D
Anyway for serious ocing it should be removed (voids warranty) and repalced with ASIII or good quality TIM. as for the HSF i sure is better then old AMD HSFs but it's not enough for a good oc and not that good of an idea to oc the cpu with the retail HSF&the factory applied TIM ;)
The best i got from that (best secure/ocing ratio) is the setup am using now (2800 speed) where the temp is below 55 under full load ;)

rocketbubba

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
Yeah, I bought mine on sale at Newegg too - got a week 22 (0322) chip. The HSF wasn't bad - it has a solid copper slab base with a aluminum fin structure attached. The problem is it's a little bit small and the fan is small - but it is quiet. I'd like to get my normal load temps down below 50 but I think I'll need another hsf to make that happen.

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: momento

The answer is a simple yes or no. Yours is no where near helpful.

Thanks CastorTr0y for the info. Appreciate it.

momento

well, many people will tell you its not a good idea because if you really want to OC, then you'll prolly end up bumpimg the vcore, which will raise the temps to the point where the stock hsf cannot efficently cool, which means you run the risk of burning up the chip

mooteh

Apr 29, 2003
I have my Barton 2500+ overclocked to XP3000+ specs via 200FSB and 10.5 multiplier on stock HSF. It idles at around 35C and at load doesn't go beyond 50C. The weird things is that my board is hotter than the CPU hmm.. (idles around 40C) I know many of you don't condone overclocking with the stock HSF but with what I am seeing so far I wonder if it is really necessary to pay so much for those crazy heat sinks. Actually prior to this, I tried out a Vantec Aeroflow but the fan on that thing died in 2 seconds after turning the power on so I'm really reluctant to try and bother with after market HSFs. Not to mention it's a pain some times to take them off and put them on...

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
The computer I'm posting from is a 2100+@2158mhz, stock vcore using the retail HSF. In a server room (~80ºF) the cpu is running @ 52ºC, when its closer to 70ºF in here the cpu temp goes below 50ºC...
How much cooler do you think this cpu would be at the stock 1.73ghz?
It would be retarded to not OC this cpu with a retail HSF

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
my Barton sucks with stock HSF. Even at stock speed, it gets into the mid 60's after about an hour of Prime95. Overclocked to 2000 mhz, it got as high as 68!

Suffice it to say, I ordered a Thermalright heatsink, some AS3, and 3000 rpm 80mm fan.

momento

Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by: mooteh
I have my Barton 2500+ overclocked to XP3000+ specs via 200FSB and 10.5 multiplier on stock HSF. It idles at around 35C and at load doesn't go beyond 50C. The weird things is that my board is hotter than the CPU hmm.. (idles around 40C) I know many of you don't condone overclocking with the stock HSF but with what I am seeing so far I wonder if it is really necessary to pay so much for those crazy heat sinks. Actually prior to this, I tried out a Vantec Aeroflow but the fan on that thing died in 2 seconds after turning the power on so I'm really reluctant to try and bother with after market HSFs. Not to mention it's a pain some times to take them off and put them on...

Looking at the temperature, i assume your rig is in a very cool environment. Do you change your Vcore to get to those speed? If you did, i would suggest you buy better HSF to be on the safe side, like what Shady said. I didn't oc a whole lot, and i didn't even mess with the vcore. I will push it further once i have better cooling. Thanks for the input.

mooteh

Apr 29, 2003
Looking at the temperature, i assume your rig is in a very cool environment. Do you change your Vcore to get to those speed? If you did, i would suggest you buy better HSF to be on the safe side, like what Shady said. I didn't oc a whole lot, and i didn't even mess with the vcore. I will push it further once i have better cooling. Thanks for the input.

I did spend extra time and effort to make the inside of the case look clean and free of cable clutter and have decent airflow. And no I didn't change the Vcore. It's at default 1.65. Yeah I would like to try a better HSF but I'm having trouble deciding what to get. Sounds like SLK-800a (my motherboard doesn't have the 4 mount holes for bigger HSF) is the best way to go but then I hear people say it's got installation issues and lapping issues and what not. It's all too complicated to me. And with the Vantec Aeroflow (which I also did a lot of research on and sounded like a decent buy) crapping out me, I'm really discouraged to try any other aftermarket HSF. Thought about water cooling but that would be more complicated. Staples seems to have a sale on for a air conditioner. Maybe I'll get that and open up my case panel and have the A/C pointed directly to it :p jk

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: amcdonald
The computer I'm posting from is a 2100+@2158mhz, stock vcore using the retail HSF. In a server room (~80ºF) the cpu is running @ 52ºC, when its closer to 70ºF in here the cpu temp goes below 50ºC...
How much cooler do you think this cpu would be at the stock 1.73ghz?
It would be retarded to not OC this cpu with a retail HSF

i have a 1700+@2300 mhz @ 1.65V w/slk800 and smart fanII. temps are 36C idle 40 Full load.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Congradualtions :D
I think you miss my point. I don't understand why its a bad idea to OC with the retail HSF.
This is like saying its a bad idea to run any xp system with temps higher than 50ºC or whatever arbitrary number is considered cool enough.

Taurus6

Jun 27, 2003
Ok, so I is ERtarded. But...I'm also cheap. I have a 2500+ running at 2.16 (10 x 216) @ 1.65v with stock fan. This is with Epox EP-8RGA+ board. Case temp is 27c, CPU is 32c. 512 Geil PC3200 CS2/5ns running 432mhz @ 2.8v. I do have a small VGA cooling fan on my Northbridge. Not too bad for stock cooling.