Has anyone noticed the world getting a bit... off... recently?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Everything seems to be getting stranger. It's really hard to explain, but it seems to me that things around me have begun changing a bit. Nothing in particular, just the general timbre of reality.

It all kind of kicked in a couple weeks ago when my dad, step mom, and family came down to see my place. I had a case of wine in the kitchen, on a table by the wall, and my dad picked up a bottle and looked at it. Nothing weird about it, until a couple days later I was taking a shower, and for some reason I thought about that event. Right as the memory played in my head, I had one of those incredible 'I've seen this before' events. It wasn't déjà vu, it was so much more than it. I know I've seen that memory before, in a dream, back when I was in high school, trying to learn how to have lucid dreams, which never worked :(

So basically I had a distinct memory of a memory, not of the event. It really was a 'holy shit. I saw the future in my dreams' moment. I've been debating making a post on this to see what you guys would think, since a lot of you are quite intelligent. I'm sure some, if not all, of you will think I'm a nutter, but I'm also wondering if any of you have had similar experiences, extreme déjà vu or whatever, or know anyone who has. It really shook me up when it happened.

edited for some crappy sentence structure

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'm not even going to get into how much deja vu I have. It's always because the event occurred already in my dreams.

If we're in the Matrix, they need to stop outsourcing.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
So what you're saying is that the world isn't getting weirder, but you are. ;)

Oct 4, 2004
I had recurring dreams where I die in a car crash along with my wife. If I'm truly clairvoyant, my dead body isn't going to be quite as good looking as I always hoped.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I had a dream the other day that I was being chased by the cops or something (on foot). Rather than stop (running), I car jacked a couple and ran for it. It took me a good 5 minutes to realize that it was a dream.

drugs are bad m'kay

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
I had recurring dreams where I die in a car crash along with my wife. If I'm truly clairvoyant, my dead body isn't going to be quite as good looking as I always hoped.

I'm worried about your phallus if it looks anything like your avatar :(

jersiq

May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
I'm not even going to get into how much deja vu I have. It's always because the event occurred already in my dreams.

I'm the same, when I am getting enough rest.
I haven't been sleeping properly for the last 3.5 years, so it hasn't been happening as much. The memories in my dreams are rather vivid, and it was astounding when it happened.
I've talked to a couple of people about it, and one person once said that it's because the mind can assemble the particular events before they happen, based on past behavior. So you are not necessarily remebering seeing the future, just that your mind had made the correct choice down a decision tree for that event.
I disagree a bit from that, as my dreams that led to deja vu were very vivid like I said, but talking to others about it does seem like I am on drugs.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
I got lost looking for my car yesterday

*tries to relate that to this creepy thread so he doesn't look like an idiot*

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I wish I would have been on drugs when it happened, as that would give me something to attribute it to.

Well, reading a bit about it kind of worries me. wiki says that having crazy déjà vu is often linked to temporal lobe epilepsy. If I were to have a seizure, would I know it or be awake during any of it?

The reason I ask is because I passed out earlier this week on my way to the kitchen. I got up and started feeling a bit light headed, like you do when you stand up suddenly after sitting, so I paused at the doorway to wiggle my toes, and I woke up on the floor. I don't know how long, but it couldn't have been more than a minute. :(

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Platypus

But the lights make it pretty. :(

Edit: How's the new one?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Haha it was your confusing thread that made me decide to start this topic :D

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jersiq
Originally posted by: BigJ

I'm the same, when I am getting enough rest.
I haven't been sleeping properly for the last 3.5 years, so it hasn't been happening as much. The memories in my dreams are rather vivid, and it was astounding when it happened.
I've talked to a couple of people about it, and one person once said that it's because the mind can assemble the particular events before they happen, based on past behavior. So you are not necessarily remebering seeing the future, just that your mind had made the correct choice down a decision tree for that event.
I disagree a bit from that, as my dreams that led to deja vu were very vivid like I said, but talking to others about it does seem like I am on drugs.

One of the dreams that really got me was when I was in the 2nd grade. We had a field trip coming up.

In the dream, we went to a restoration village that reenacted living the the colonial days and what not and I had the dream that we were running around in front of a house. In the front of the house there was a tree stump that was hollowed out and had flowers in it.

A couple of weeks later we go on the actual field trip to the village and after walking through the front door I chased my friend and looked to my left. I saw the tree stump with the flowers in it and even then it made me feel really, really weird.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus

But the lights make it pretty. :(

Edit: How's the new one?

LOL

moonbit

Dec 15, 2006
I've had prophetic dreams, and there's no way it could've been anything else, because they were about products that didn't exist when I had the dreams.

I guess my subconscious is kinda shallow and materialistic.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: moonbit
I've had prophetic dreams, and there's no way it could've been anything else, because they were about products that didn't exist when I had the dreams.

I guess my subconscious is kinda shallow and materialistic.

lol@your username. moonbat...uh, close enough. :p

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Haha it was your confusing thread that made me decide to start this topic :D

dude..I was so out of it...furious that I was late for a lab...fearful of vengeful non-profit goons..the works...

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I've had many deja vu moments like that. It's a very strange feeling that's for sure. Memory glitch, or something else? Not sure what to think. I do want to keep a dream log though.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I've had that experience many times, where it feels like the moment I'm experiencing was from a dream I had either years ago or even recently.

I've written it off as a mistake. I probably never actually had the dream, and a weird misfiring of synapses caused me to believe that I had a deja vu experience when in fact I hadn't.

It happens pretty regularly, too. It happens at least once every few weeks.