Has anyone made a DVD from scratch?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'd like to try.

1) I have tape that I'll input into digital (via an old ATI All-in-wonder),
2) try to clean it up, digitally
3) assemble the film clips and put a DVD menu on it

But I don't know how or where to start with the DVD process. Is there PC platform software that is a step above clip art style of production? And won't cost more than my rig?

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
I'd like to try.

1) I have tape that I'll input into digital (via an old ATI All-in-wonder),
2) try to clean it up, digitally
3) assemble the film clips and put a DVD menu on it

But I don't know how or where to start with the DVD process. Is there PC platform software that is a step above clip art style of production? And won't cost more than my rig?

My mom has software on her Dell that does it. If she didn't live 1000 miles away, I'd look and see what it is...

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
for some reason i thought you meant like making the actual dvd... as in the plastic disc and stuff

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I've done it from VHS clips as an xmas gift (old video of friends child) I cant remember all my steps. I wrecked many DVD's before making a good one.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I do it everyday, but the software I use is probably out of your budget and I run it on a Mac. :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8
I do it everyday, but the software I use is probably out of your budget and I run it on a Mac. :)

Yeah, I have a friend that does it with Final Cut Pro, too. :)

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
There's lots of consumer level ways to make a DVD on a PC. Unfortunetly I'm not very familiar w/them 'cause I use either use the software that came w/my Mac or a stand alone DVD recorder. The stand alone recorder does a suprisingly nice job, but it's kinda pricey (~$800).

Lethal

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: pulse8

Yeah, I have a friend that does it with Final Cut Pro, too. :)

Actually, it's DVD Studio Pro. :)

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Asuming you're capturing DV quality video, but this works for tapes as well, just the quality won't be as good:

1. Capture using Scenalyzer into raw uncompressed type 2 .AVI. Bear in mind that 2 hours of uncompressed .AVI is good for about a 20 gig file. So make sure your drive is formatted in NTFS as there's no file size limit. FAT32 has a 4GB limit.

or

If you are using a capture card then you can capture using VirtualDub. I use Scenalyzer because it will recognize a firewire input - VirtualDub will not. I capture through my camcorder using firewire.

2. Rip the audio out of the .AVI file using VirtualDub into .WAV format.
3. Convert the .WAV format into DVD compliant .AC3 audio using FFMPEGGUI.
4. Compute the necessary bitrate using a bitrate calculator - I use CCEGuesser.
5. Encode the original .AVI (video only) into DVD compliant MPEG2 format using either TMPGEnc or Cinema Craft Encoder (CCE). I prefer CCE because it's like twice as fast as TMPGEnc and a lot of people feel it gives better DVD results. TMPGEnc is better for SVCDs. This is of course using multipass variable bitrate encoding. Oh, and I use AVISynth to frameserve the AVI to CCE as it has a problem with large files. AVISynth is a whole game in itself - you wouldn't believe what you can do with it (add filters etc...which you can use to "clean up" your video)
6. Finally use TMPGEnc DVD Author to author the DVD. Which means putting the MPEG2 video file and the AC3 audio file back together and then encrypting it back into DVD format and burning it to disc. You can also do some editing at this point.

Yes, there are a lot of steps. The longest by far being the encoding process. I usually let my PC do it overnight.

But, this is a very good method. It will give you far better results than any one "all in one" DVD authoring program. By a long shot.

And none of these programs will cost more than $30 or $40. Some are even freeware.

DVDRHelp

and

Doom9

has all the info and FAQ's you'll ever need.

LiQiCE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I use DVD Lab to Author my DVDs. Its $99 (not exactly cheap, but not really expensive either), and its really easy to use for authoring. It also has a lot of features for making your own menus and such. You can download a demo version for free to try it. Here's the
Link

elanarchist

Dec 8, 2001
I tried about three months ago but I never found a program that wasn't half-assed or buggy as hell. Now, if you have a Mac that's a whole different story. iDVD is far easier to use than anything for PC right now.

Brian M

Oct 9, 1999
I did a very similar project to this. My main difference was that I already had DV to work with and I was able to capture it without converting it. Here are the steps I followed:

Using Adobe Premiere:
Capture Clips
Edit Clips
Output using Adobe MPEG encoder making a .m2v and a .mpg file. The .m2v file is the video portion and the .mpg file is the audio portion of the video, the encoder splits the audio and video up.

Using DVDit PE
Next I made a new DVD in DVDit PE.
I imported my .m2v file and my .mpg file
I created my dvd menu in DVDit.
I exported a DVD folder, this step creates a Video TS folder with multiple .VOB files.

Using Ahead Nero
Make a new DVD video
Add all of the contents of your Video TS folder into Nero and then burn it.

One note, when I made this video I also used analog video. To convert this for capturing I just hooked the VCR into the DV camcorder and recorded the VHS tape to a MiniDV tape.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the process!

-Brian M

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Thanks all. I will try to attempt this in the coming month. Rigtht now it looks like I have a lot of reading to do first!
:)