Question Has anyone installed a wireless router outside?

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I'm looking to expand our network coverage to include our outdoor areas. Has anyone setup a router/AP outside? Any luck using an indoor device? I have an Asus system and from what I can tell they don't offer outdoor equipment.

thanks

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

@JackMDS

I used them before when building my own router for some antennas and they do fill the need for DIY network stuff.

The problem with these is none are Asus so I wouldn't be able to incorporate them into the Aimesh system.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The problem with these is none are Asus so I wouldn't be able to incorporate them into the Aimesh system.
That's not an issue.

Putting up an AP and running the Ethernet into the ASUS works just fine.

If you want to use a WIFI backhaul then it's going to get more complicated and expensive.

Not knowing the context doesn't help in answering your question either. If you're just talking about open area behind the house for gatherings putting an AP on the side of the house would probably be sufficient but, if you're talking about acres of space it's again going to get complicated / expensive.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Go on eBay and pickup a decent, used AP from one of the top names like Cisco, Avaya, etc. $20-25
Get an POE injector from eBay $5-10
Get an enclosure as stated, or make one from some HD/TAP plastics plexi and solvent.

The pricing on some of these 2nd rate Manf. AP's for exterior is just plain stupid.