Has anyone here worked at some type of call center?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
If so, do you recall what type of questions were asked at your interview?

I have an interview today for a position at a call center at a bank. I will be taking customers phone calls and what not. I guess mainly dealing with their accounts, disputes, etc.

I'm just wondering what kind of interview questions might be asked.

Thanks in advance.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Basic questions trying to profile my personality, experience, and how to handle different situations with a customer.

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
When I went in for a similar interview, the employer gave me a script to read aloud.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
at our outbound call center(we are calling you guys), you have to make a test phone call with one of the team leaders.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: minendo
Basic questions trying to profile my personality, experience, and how to handle different situations with a customer.

Same here and the script that another poster mentioned. That having been said, the two call center jobs I had were the the most detestable jobs I've yet had. I was miserable. Hopefully, Nocturnal, your experience will be a much more pleasant one. :) I still shudder when thinking of those horrible, horrible days...

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Suicide help line.

"You need to take the safety off FIRST, now try it again.."

Don't know WHY I was fired.... ;)

Bad joke, I know, I'm going to hell.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Oh, also try to mention that you have good typing and writting skills. Also, let them know you are familiar with computers and the internet. Let them know you have used "live help" on sites as well. Most places have a web desk as well as phones. You should show them that you are able to do both. You may want to ask about if they do. Asking good questions at an interview helps.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
They're going to ask you how you would deal with an irate customer. Tell them you would say you understood their problem and explain the situation to them politely. If they don't like the policy, you'd politely ask them if they would like to speak with a manager further about the problem.

I worked as a inbound telephone sales rep for DR power equipment/country home products...aside from not aggressively selling all the 'upsells' to people who didn't need them, I was very good at my job. The position often involved a lot of customer service and technical support, if you wanted it. I wasn't to bad at it even though I have very little understanding of small engines.

Some of my colleques were terrible though, they'd transfer anyone who was trying to buy a replacement belt to the technical que which usually had about an hour wait. Retarded since I sold the same kind of belt almost every other call, and those people either hung up or were seriously irate when they finally got through. The training was kind of bad though, they just taught you about some of the products but when you were out on the floor I spent most of my time with technical manuals that they'd never even showed me before. :p

Telephone customer service is kind of weird, I'm surprised I was cut out for it...but it was easy, air conditioned and paid better than any of my other prospects in addition to having a set schedule that I liked.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Question: What's your background?
Answer: I hand him my resume.

Q: Why do you want to work here?
A: Some BS answer about furthering my career.

Q: Does X thousand a year sound good to you?
A: <Since it's 30% higher than my current job> Yes.

End of interview. :D :beer:

<-- Works for a Dealership Only Call Center.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
I'm 21, I've always worked at Call Centers, I'm on my third one. 1st call center - Staples customer service (inbound and internet chat), 2nd= citibank collections (outbound), 3rd = interstar dispatch (inbound/outbound) My current job. I love it, I get to post on ATOT all day. Average hour = 8 inbound calls. Average call length = 2 minutes. Do the math.