has anyone here made home movies on dvd?

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
I just got PowerDirector and i'm in the procwess of cpturing a tape from my Canon MiniDV camcorder. How do you guys set up your dvds Is it possible to make a menu then chapters like a real dvd?

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: michaels
I just got PowerDirector and i'm in the procwess of cpturing a tape from my Canon MiniDV camcorder. How do you guys set up your dvds Is it possible to make a menu then chapters like a real dvd?

That's sick. I actually am capturing some home vhs tapes using my Canon MiniDV camcorder (using AV->DV) today.

Back in the day when DVD-R's were still expensive for the mass ($2-$3 pop or whatever) I backed up a lot of stuff, I stopped after I got most of my important stuff backed up and just started up again this morning. Point is the program's i'm using (though updated) are probably not ideal candidates anymore, but it works:

1) DVIO to capture DVAVI to my harddrive
2) TMPGENC to encode video (used to use virtualdub with cce but i'm too lazy these days, tmpgenc shows almost no noticeable difference and is much more user friendly)
3) TMPGENC DVD Author to create motion menus and stuff. I'm sure there are programs that are much better at creating menus nowdays, so i'd love to hear other people's opinions...

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I go deck to deck recording, Its in real time and I dont have to watch all that boring crap.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
I have some older tapes that I don't know how I will get them to dvd. I don't have a vcr anymore and i don't have RCA inputs on my pc.

spaceghost21

May 22, 2004
Originally posted by: michaels
I have some older tapes that I don't know how I will get them to dvd. I don't have a vcr anymore and i don't have RCA inputs on my pc.

There are places that do that for you.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
If you have a digital camcorder, you can borrow a vcr, hook it up to the camcorder, then hook up the camcorder to your pc via firewire or usb. Your camcorder works as a passthrough device (technically, an analog to digital converter).

Here is a short read from MS about how to do this with Windows Movie Maker.

If you want to add menus and other things to your DVD, I recommend a product called DVDLab Pro. It has a 30 day trial version. At first glance it is a little complicated to use, but it comes with a very good tutorial. It is the only DVD authoring software I use.