Has anyone here ever washed their engine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It really depends on the car, but yes it's usually fine with a few precautions. If you have a distributor, air intake, fuses, etc. exposed, then you should cover them. My engine bay is pretty clean, so I just spray some Simple Green on it and hose it down. Simple Green is mild enough that it won't attack the rubber components, especially if you are watering it down.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
cover your alternator, battery, fuse boxex and whatnot...you will be fine. i washed my 96 240sx with 135k...no problems...just a nice and clean engine :)

oh...make sure you cover your spark plugs...if water gets in there your engine will start cutting out, lol, i did that once >.>

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Ragnarok2
I just bought some Black Magic de-greaser and shine for my Chrysler Cirrus, and I'm really scared the car won't turn on after the wash. It has 125K miles on it, so I hope the older parts like wires and all won't deteriorate.

Also, if you have washed your engine, what parts do you recommend wrapping and with what?

I washed my engine once. I paid about $130 to have the car entirely cleaned inside and out. I was trying to sell the car and presentation is everything.

The first person who saw it, bought it.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Just disconnect the battery and steam clean the snot out of it. Leave the hood open for it to dry in direct sunlight for a few hours, reconnect battery, etc.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
yeah it was a bitch getting into the washing machine but i did it i tell ya!

i did forget throw one of those Bounce sheets into the dryer later so it didnt smell clothesline fresh though....

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Here's how I clean mine, go to a carwash, pull car in bay and let cool off. As it's cooling I
used plastic lunch bags with clothspins to cover as many electrical connectors as possible.
Now make sure engine is cool, touch the exhaust mainfold to be sure, spraying cleaner/degreaser on ahot manifold and or cat is a BAD thing. Let cleaner soak recommended time and rinse off with power sprayer, do a through rinse,your done!

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I've tried some of the spraybomb degreaser stuff before, and it didn't work worth a damn. Get a air gun with a siphon tube and a gallon of solvent, and give'r hell.

assuming its actually greasy. otherwise just soap and water at the carwash is fine..