Has anyone here ever been married in a catholic church?

TrevorJ

Feb 10, 2007
It's amazing how many steps that they require you to take before the actual ceremony.

1. Initial meeting with priest
2. Obtain signatures from witnesses to your having never married before.
3. Take marriage compatibility quiz
4. Marriage preparation course (basically a weekend retreat)
5. Prenuptial investigation (1-on-1 interrogation by the priest)
6. Track down your baptismal certificate
7. Get marriage license
8. The big day

Luckily the ceremony isn't for another year-and-a-half. Can't imagine doing all of this in < 6 mos.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
I was, and yes it's completely stupid. Thankfully I didn't have to come up with a baptismal cert. because I never was, and had no intentions of doing so.

L

Lola

Your huge list is the exact reason we chose not to get married with the catholic church eventhough we both (techincally) are Catholic.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah my buddy was married in the catholic church. but the priest (father? i am not familer with the church) screwed up and did not file any paperwork after the wedding. So that made the marriage (in the eyes of the church) not binding. so they had to redo it. about 7 couples had to redo the wedding (though they could have just signed new paperwork etc)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My friend and his wife had to take classes for a few weeks, IIRC.
Since the ceremony includes a mass, I skipped it and showed up for the reception.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
Originally posted by: Mursilis
How dare an institution take marriage seriously!
:roll:

Oh please. Like any of that stuff would actually prevent a marriage from taking place because they failed their tests or whatever. It's just a good way of getting more money into the church.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
*raises hand*

/flamesuit

my version:

- meet w/ priest (about an hour total)
- "marriage classes" - friday night, 4 hours saturday, 1 hour sunday + mass
- marriage FTW

not a big deal IMHO

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I was and we encountered some problems because I had married my wife in court earlier to prevent visa problems and help her get landed immigrant status. Because of this, our parish priest did not want to marry us so we went to the university pastor and got married at the university chapel instead.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Yeah, had to do all that, plus a few steps since the wife is one of those heathen methodists.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: thirdeye

Oh please. Like any of that stuff would actually prevent a marriage from taking place because they failed their tests or whatever.

To the contrary, that happens somewhat frequently.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
we did. we had to do most of that stuff. my wife always wanted to be married in a church so we did all that stuff.

i didn't mind.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
It's just a good way of getting more money into the church.

Are you kidding? The church does that for FREE, not a FEEE! Its volunteer. A friend of mine did the same routine with a non catholic church (luthern I think) and it was free then too. In fact, he said it helped him and his wife alot. They were taught on how to handle conflicts that will come up in marriage, and not to "freak out and get divorced." Yadda yadda yadda.

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
The church makes it a big deal because Matrimony is considered 1 of 7 sacraments. Most of the process is just talking about emotions and the spirtual side to the life long commitment to matrimony. There are no interrogations and quizes are rather rare. They're more like activities than anything else. For the most part the people involved in the process just want to get to know you and spirtually help you for matrimony, so its a really realxed friendy atmosphere. I rather not go through the whole process but it is not a long, tedious, agonizing experience that the OP makes it seem.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TrevorJ
It's amazing how many steps that they require you to take before the actual ceremony.

7. Get marriage license
8. The big day

Luckily the ceremony isn't for another year-and-a-half. Can't imagine doing all of this in < 6 mos.
And this bothers you?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
A large portion of my family is Catholic, I have been to several Catholic weddings, but I have never participated in them.

VERY long and VERY drawn out

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Try getting married in a Greek Orthodox church instead. The ceremony itself is longer than the entire process for Catholics.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Yeah, had to do all that, plus a few steps since the wife is one of those heathen methodists.

Yeah, had to do all that plus a few steps since the husband is one of those heathen Baptists. :)

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Oh please. Like any of that stuff would actually prevent a marriage from taking place because they failed their tests or whatever. It's just a good way of getting more money into the church.
Your ignorance is showing..... One, the church does not charge anything for these activities, so they have no monetary incentive to do these things.

Nobody makes you get married in a Catholic church. Like Lolawiz said, you can always opt to get married somewhere else. If you want to be married in a Catholic church, you have to play by their rules. Don't want to play by their rules, get married somewhere else. Very simple really.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: TrevorJ

7. Get marriage license
8. The big day

Wow.. your church is really strict. I had to do #'s 1, 4 (#3 was included in this), 6, 7, 8

The longest part was the classes. But that was only 2 weekends worth.

The marriage course was actually fun. It's not preachy or anything like that. It's more of a what to expect from each other when you are married type of class.

Are you having a mass? Those are so long and boring. We skipped that part for the sake of our guests, and just had the wedding ceremony. :) 15/20 minutes in and out!

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Originally posted by: allisolm
Originally posted by: Ramma2

Yeah, had to do all that plus a few steps since the husband is one of those heathen Baptists. :)

I tell ya, if everyone was a good Catholic we'd all be better off ;)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Was not married in one, but have been to a few weddings in one...boring as hell.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
In general, actually being married will be far more work than those 8 steps. It is not all wine and roses. I would say if you feel those steps are a lot of work you are in for a rude awakening after the honeymoon is over.

And no, I am not Catholic.

-KeithP