Question Has anyone had Win11 22H2 auto-installed on an unsupported system yet?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm just curious because the Broadwell-era laptop that I upgraded to Win11 hasn't offered that update yet, and I've seen it offered on other (supported) PCs.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
It showed available a few weeks ago, now it’s on hold for my system.

I also would not recommend, simply updating to this. It is after all an entire new OS Build version.

Seriously, if anyone gets it, burn it to USB and do a fresh install. ;)

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
It showed available a few weeks ago, now it’s on hold for my system.

I also would not recommend, simply updating to this. It is after all an entire new OS Build version.

Seriously, if anyone gets it, burn it to USB and do a fresh install. ;)

Why not? Upgraded at least 100 systems from Win 7 to Win 10 without issue. Should be the same with Win 11. It's not like the old days, and you can revert back for 30 days. Never had to do that though.

Just write an image first, just as you would when doing a fresh insltall.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Why not? Upgraded at least 100 systems from Win 7 to Win 10 without issue. Should be the same with Win 11. It's not like the old days, and you can revert back for 30 days. Never had to do that though.

Just write an image first, just as you would when doing a fresh insltall.

You’re very fortunate then, I mean like, no one knows about all the problems MS has with just small more basic updates breaking things? MS has had an extremely long standing history of problematic updating. Oh, and let’s not forget, updates that break updates too.

No, it’s never good practice to update an OS, going from one Build Version to another, and it’s seriously never a good idea to update from a completely different OS Win 7 to Win10.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
You’re very fortunate then, I mean like, no one knows about all the problems MS has with just small more basic updates breaking things? MS has had an extremely long standing history of problematic updating. Oh, and let’s not forget, updates that break updates too.

No, it’s never good practice to update an OS, going from one Build Version to another, and it’s seriously never a good idea to update from a completely different OS Win 7 to Win10.

I guess one opinion. Like Larry, I just updated to the 22H2 version of Win 10 on my machine. Took a total of 30 seconds. Sure beats spending two days getting my system back the way I like it after a clean install. Haven't done that since I built it in January '21. Three version updates since then, imagine all the time I could have wasted.

Make an image first, takes 10 minutes.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
No one is saying you can’t update like this, but this is more common place for Home users.

Anyone can certainly do anything, but the fact is, if there are problems in the previous OS, that someone might not be aware of, thinking it’s fine, there’s a very high probability of dragging these issues over into the new version.

To be 100% safer, and more foolproof, you do Clean Installs...

I can’t believe we are arguing about doing Clean OS installs... LOL 😆

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005

I can't believe that there are many who behave in this way. I can't imagine how much time it would waste and frustration this would cause.

Reactions: WilliamM2

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I will avoid Windows 11 for a while I think. What kind of improvements are in the Win 10 22H2 update?

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
No one is saying you can’t update like this, but this is more common place for Home users.

Anyone can certainly do anything, but the fact is, if there are problems in the previous OS, that someone might not be aware of, thinking it’s fine, there’s a very high probability of dragging these issues over into the new version.

To be 100% safer, and more foolproof, you do Clean Installs...

I can’t believe we are arguing about doing Clean OS installs... LOL 😆

It's actually more common for business users to upgrade. You've obviously never done this for a living. Imagine managing 100 computers, and having to do a clean install on all of them. Many users use different software. We don't buy licenses for all users for all software, and they all save different files to their computer (even though they are instrcted to save everything to the server) so imaging isn't possible. Also imagine telling the user you will be without your computer for a couple days...
And it's all done remotely at different locations. Upgrading is the only way to go.

Windows updates do not work the way they used to. It basically is a clean install that keeps all your files and programs. The old installation is saved in a windows old folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: john3850 and mxnerd
Jul 27, 2020