Has anyone gotten a voodoo 5 AGP card working well under XP?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
<SPAN class=gs_normal>I ask because we are trying to get a friend's system LANable for a party in a few hours. He really doesn't have the cash for a new card and all we have lying around that's decent is an AGP V5. I found some 1.09 build 7 beta drivers that we will try to use(Im at work still), but has anyone gotten this card to work under XP? If so, what kind of performance can I expect? I.E. what more modern card would it be comparable to?

We are planning on playing bf1942, jedi II, UT2003, and mechwarrior 4 mercs, will this card be able to handle these games at all?

His current card is a TNT2 M64, so I know that the V5 ought to be faster, but will it be enough? Im not worried about super high frame-rate, just enough to make these games playable at 800x600 at least.

Thank you guys in advance
aka1nas</SPAN>

faye

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2000
my friend has a voodoo card, but does have a driver to work under XP..

he said the driver in XP is clumsy

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I had a Voodoo5 5500 in WinXP that worked rather well. I used the BETA4 drivers(earlier than the ones you mentioned, I replaced the card before the 7s came out) and other than games that require hardware TnL, it worked fine. A lot of newer games have performance issues, but for HL(and mods), UT, and other older games it's a real champ. UT2k3, NFS HP2, and many other current games run kinda ok.

Edit: Just noticed the games listed: I never could get the BFG1942 demo to work, but I understand that with some tweaking it is possible. I also had problems with Jedi2 demo. For UT2k3, make sure to use the patch for the game, also some maps can get really chunky(the more open ones). MW4 should work decently, but I've never played it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BP
I had always heard that BF42 required HW T&L.

From my understanding, there is a util that can get around this by tricking the game into thinking you have hardware TnL, but using a software version.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks for all your input. We actually couldn't get the V5 to run any 3D games in XP(It ran 2d fine, but hung w/ black screens on games), so we had the friend use his TNT2. We almost got bf1942 running on that, but it had too many graphical glitches to be playable. Hopefully by the next LAN party, he'll have gotten a new card.

Thanks for everyone's help,
aka1nas