Has anyone gone to Thailand? edit: Help with any Phuket hotel experience please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

elanarchist

Dec 8, 2001
Heh, I'm here now during my university's Winter Recess, great to get out of the upstate NY weather for a month (=

Some quick tips off the top of my head:

1) In BKK, the bars and clubs that cater to the locals will card you and not let you in if you're under 20. This is thanks to the new "Social Order Crusade" of the wonderful Prime Minister Thaksin. The places that cater to foreigners (FYI they're mostly located in the Sukhumvit and Patpong areas of BKK) don't care.

2) BKK (and Thailand in general) nightlift is unbelievable. Cheap beer etc.

3) If you're going to stay in a hotel above $50 a night, then go ahead and book online. However, in BKK and Phuket you should be able to find a decent enough room with A/C for $25 or less per night without reservations (unless its a particularly busy holiday period)

4) Prostitutes are best avoided for fear of AIDS etc.

5) You can get all sorts of computer software, games, PS2 games, DVD's, and even some Mac software for $3-5. Best place for this is Panthip Plaza in BKK. DVD's of movies still in theaters tend to be low quality cam's and VHS screeners. Ask to test DVD's first to verify their quality.

6) Patong beach is where its at in Phuket

7) ALWAYS BARGAIN with vendors, especially if you look foreign, as they will tend to double the price. Learn how to shop in Thai for the best price (tao rai=how much, thai numbers are also quite simple).

8) Beware of double pricing at parks, temples, etc. Unfortunatly, its quite common for western looking foreigners to be charged a price between 2-10x the "Thai price". Nothing much you can do about this, sadly.

Feel free to PM me with anymore q's. I lived here for seven years before college so I know quite a bit (=

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003

The best thing is to pick up a copy of ?The Lonely Planet?, and just to be on the safe side add another 30-50% of what the suggestive price to things to do/see/accommodations.

Don't forget to goto the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Keao, Floating Market, and Padpong while you are in Bangkok.

Patong is the happening place, while Thalang is where the museum is at. Other places that you might want to consider is Karon & Kata.

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003
Originally posted by: nanyangview
There is a type of taxi in Thailand called Tut Tut, (something like that). Try not to take them as the tour guide told me that foreigners were kidnapped on them.

DO NOT CARRY TO MUCH CASH/Valuable on you. BUY a FRONT HANGINg wallet (that thing that you hang on your neck and put all your important document, like visa/passport in it. Do not leave them in ur wallet. IT will get pickpocket, this is especially true when you visit those busy Open air markets where they sell everything imaginable

like $20 rolex watch that looks like the real thing
or $5 tommy or boss clothing that even a trained people from the companies have a hard time proving that they are fake.
Don't worry about the Tut-tut drivers...just make sure you know where you are going & have a verbal fair/price agreement with the driver before you step on the vehicle. The fair should be 1/2 of what the driver first quoted you, or ask the people that work at your hotel what the suggestive price of Tut-tut fair should be before you head out to your adventure. Another the way to travel is by taxi.

Pickpocket is a common thing in every tourist town, and especially in touristy area. Just be careful & use commonsense. Use traveler cheques & credit card when possible, have a little of cash on you is the best thing, and leave your IDs (passport) in the hotel safe.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Bargain while you're there. I went to Pattaya and Bangkok over a year ago and it was fun. Watch out for the She-Males. :D

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
There is a type of taxi in Thailand called Tut Tut, (something like that). Try not to take them as the tour guide told me that foreigners were kidnapped on them.

ignorance manifested in its finest form

ppaik

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Adul

...Don't do anything stupid, and you will be ok...

Can you elaborate on this...can I think alot of things I do are not stupid, but I may offend someone especially in another culture without knowing it...

ppaik

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnnyAnnalog
The best thing is to pick up a copy of ?The Lonely Planet?, and just to be on the safe side add another 30-50% of what the suggestive price to things to do/see/accommodations.

Don't forget to goto the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Keao, Floating Market, and Padpong while you are in Bangkok.

Patong is the happening place, while Thalang is where the museum is at. Other places that you might want to consider is Karon & Kata.

Thanks for the info...is "the lonely planet" a tour guide to places around the world?

And yeah I was leaning towards Patong Beach too. I just want to stay on a Beach front hotel and not have to worry about taxis and stuff and walk over to the local bars and shops. The only thing is, on priceline they only have hotel rooms for Thalang....guess I have to try orbitz or something...

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003
Originally posted by: ppaik

...Don't do anything stupid, and you will be ok...

Can you elaborate on this...can I think alot of things I do are not stupid, but I may offend someone especially in another culture without knowing it...
Lonely Planet guide is a good place to start & there are flyers at Bangkok airport that have suggestive rules & regulations for aliens.

ppaik

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2000
What are the rules of driving in a foreign country....will I be able to rent a car? I don't think my CA Drivers License will work there lol. I am thinking about renting a car when I'm in Phuket....this way I can stay at the Mariott in Thalang and drive down to Patong and other places throughout the Island.

I really want to go Jet Skiing, Snorkeling, Elephant Riding, and get a massage while laying on the beach getting fed grapes :)

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
What are the rules of driving in a foreign country....will I be able to rent a car? I don't think my CA Drivers License will work there lol. I am thinking about renting a car when I'm in Phuket....this way I can stay at the Mariott in Thalang and drive down to Patong and other places throughout the Island.

I really want to go Jet Skiing, Snorkeling, Elephant Riding, and get a massage while laying on the beach getting fed grapes :)

mass transportation is cheap and everywhere. Trust me you DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE THERE.
Massages shoudl run you around 100 - 250 baht. on the beach for an hour. It rocks I tell you :). crew grapes you want some fresh pineapple, mangos and all the other great fruits there.

DivideBYZero
Those place look familiar to me :)

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001

mass transportation is cheap and everywhere. Trust me you DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE THERE.
Massages shoudl run you around 100 - 250 baht. on the beach for an hour. It rocks I tell you :). crew grapes you want some fresh pineapple, mangos and all the other great fruits there.

DivideBYZero
Those place look familiar to me :)

Heh, cool! I have more. Wanna see? I'll put them on pics.bbzzdd

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

You might want to check out the Royal Dragon restaurant in Bangkok while you are there. They have petty good food for a restaurant that have 5000 seats & the employees deliver food on roller skates.

aniki

Sep 4, 2000
Thailand is the land of scams. You got someone on every corner in Bangkok waiting to take you. Its a blast though

ppaik

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2000
do you guys recommend renting a scooter on phuket? or is it a BAD IDEA?

one more thing, if you're white, and you run accross another white person - you're immediately best friends...at least for the moments on which you're near eachother

every asian country i've been to is like this

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

Some people that have poor preconception of non-Euro centric culture should just stay home & save their money.

I second ?The Lonely Planet Guide? as the best traveler bible. It have extensive information on accommodation, places to stay, see, do, and safety tips. And, get a phrase book to help you with the basic things, because it is a great way to break the ice with the locals.

Travel by scooters is a good idea if you are good at reading a map & direction.

Good luck & enjoy your self.

melly

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Yep, was there in May. Some tips for Bangkok:

-Wear very light clothing. It is hotter than hell and you'll be dripping wet even in a t-shirt.

-Bring a face cloth with you when you're out and about to wipe yourself with.

-There is a foreign exchange in the airport just before you go outside, opposite the information booth. Even though it's a good idea to have a bit of currency with you before you arrive, the rate is excellent there.

-The Skytrain (their version of the subway) is a fast and economical way to get around.

-Wear comfortable shoes but try not to wear open-toed sandals since it's a very populated city (to put it mildly) and you don't want your toes getting stepped on.

-I stayed at the Meridian hotel and it was very classy, great service. I don't know how much it would be, though, since I went through an all-inclusive deal.

ppaik

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2000
Originally posted by: xmellyx

-I stayed at the Meridian hotel and it was very classy, great service. I don't know how much it would be, though, since I went through an all-inclusive deal.

Are you talking about the LEMeridian hotel in Phuket? I was thinking about going to that one...but its far off from Patong isn't it?