Has anyone every used Jansport's lifetime warranty

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I have a Jansport backpack that has several holes that need to be repaired. Have any of you ladies and gentlemen tried sending your Jansport back for repairs and had success? The bag in question is probably 10+ years old.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Ten years is a pretty good run. I'd get a needle/thread and fix it myself. Claiming warranty over wear/tear is kind of lame imo. If it lasted as well as can be expected, you got what you paid for. Legal isn't a synonym for just.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Ten years is a pretty good run. I'd get a needle/thread and fix it myself. Claiming warranty over wear/tear is kind of lame imo. If it lasted as well as can be expected, you got what you paid for. Legal isn't a synonym for just.

At least one would be extremely difficult to fix since it's on the exterior of the pack. The zipper is essentially separating from the bag. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of my holes and post them to get your opinion on difficulty of fixing.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I still have my Jansport backpack from I think middle school. Still looks like new and I like to wear it while hiking since it's pretty lightweight. Also still have my LL Bean from middle/high school (with my initials, of course), that I had to sew up a couple of holes.

For something ten years old, I would either fix it myself or throw it away. Isn't this the type of stuff that led to LL Bean discontinuing their lifetime warranty?

At least one would be extremely difficult to fix since it's on the exterior of the pack. The zipper is essentially separating from the bag. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of my holes and post them to get your opinion on difficulty of fixing.

:eek:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Hmmm. I wonder if I still have the JanSport daypack I bought in 1975.

This one, except it was gold. Got a lot of mileage out of that pack. Big side pockets for water bottles, and I loved the way it could be laid down and opened completely with the zippered front. Only problem was that this was before quick-release slide buckles, so that if I wanted to open it completely, the compression straps had to be rethreaded each time.

GrEGl39.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
We've used the warranty with two different bags. One got a hole in the bottom leather and one the strap came off. Both of them they repaired and sent back the same bag. The wife wanted to send one of them back again because the inner coating was coming off, but the bag is 20 years old now so I convinced her to just buy a new one.

The problem with their warranty is you have to go to a dealer and get a special bag to send it back in, which is free, but then it costs $10+ to ship it back and a new bag is $35. When we sent ours in we were still in college and saving $25 was a big deal, but for a working adult probably isn't worth the effort.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

A company doesn't offer a lifetime warranty if it's not already built into their costs. If it's a true lifetime warranty that the company stands behind, that's what it's there for and you've already paid for it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A company doesn't offer a lifetime warranty if it's not already built into their costs. If it's a true lifetime warranty that the company stands behind, that's what it's there for and you've already paid for it.
Yup, hat's the legal perspective. The just perspective is I beat the shit out of this bag for ten years, and it clearly isn't made from super alien technology that subverts entropy, so I'll buy another bag, and save my warranty claim for a time when the seamstress blew a stitch row, or they got a bad batch of thread.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

Have some bedsheets where the elastic of the fitted sheet wore out. Surprised that they had a lifetime warranty so I hit them up and they provided the shipping and everything. However, they wanted my old sheets back which I thought was really weird. Lol.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Have some bedsheets where the elastic of the fitted sheet wore out. Surprised that they had a lifetime warranty so I hit them up and they provided the shipping and everything. However, they wanted my old sheets back which I thought was really weird. Lol.
They recoup costs by reselling your genetic data 23andme style.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I think that's just a way of confirming you were an actual customer, and not just trying to get free sheets.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Very soon, your former old worn out bedsheets would be in a vending machine in Japan with a high mark up.

"Worn and used in America by American" in the package label = selling like hot cake.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Back to the topic. I used to have an old basic Jansports and the thread came off at one of the corner. The company asked me to ship it and see if it would be repair or not. A few days later, a brand new backpack was in the mail to me. The only thing I did not like was it was in blue and my original backpack was in red.