Has anyone ever gotten a really WEIRD call?

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I'm not sure if this is a prank call or a malfunctioning phone on the caller's side. Know those voice changing machines like in the movies? Like a bad guy would change his voice, making it sound lower and mechanical. That's what the calls I've been getting sounds like, except it's either a guy prank calling with a very crappy voice changer or a guy whose phone is not working right since I can't make out what he's saying at all. This guy has been calling at least 6 times in the last 15 mins...first the home phone and then my mom's cell phone. My home phone isn't listed in the phone books and my mom only gives out her cell phones to people she knows. And after I threatened to call my phone company to get the number and report it to the police, he still calls, so I'm not so sure if this is a prank call. But the caller ID on the cell phone says the number is "861-000-0000" so I don't know what that's about. Any ideas?

ziptie

Banned
Sep 27, 2003
one time there was a problem with my friends nextel phone(not sure if dead battery or what) and he sounded like that.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Do you like popcorn with your movies?

Juct call the cops.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman
Do you like popcorn with your movies?

Juct call the cops.

I did try to call my phone company to see if they pull up the number so I can call the cops, but it's closed on Sundays. Can the police still do anything about it if I don't have the guy's number, other than that 861-000-0000 number? And what does that number even mean?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
The number means nothing, 861 is not a valid US npa.

fwiw: caller id can be hit or miss for working and easily faked.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just had a very strange experience yesterday. The phone rang and showed my own name/number on the caller ID! I picked it up but no one was there.

crisp82

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2002
I know whats going on...I've seen the MothMan Prophecies..:Q

Record the call on an answer machine and post them here!

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
A few years ago we had some guy call our house and ask for "emmanuel", my wife told him he had the wrong number. He starts to try to have a conversation with her, except he barely spoke english "How you do? What you name? What you look like?". She hung up on him and he called back at least 6 times a day for the next week. We called Qwest to ask them what they could do about it and they told us to dial *57 to do a trace. After x amount of traces to the same number they would contact the people. The calls did stop a few days after.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: styrafoam
A few years ago we had some guy call our house and ask for "emmanuel", my wife told him he had the wrong number. He starts to try to have a conversation with her, except he barely spoke english "How you do? What you name? What you look like?". She hung up on him and he called back at least 6 times a day for the next week. We called Qwest to ask them what they could do about it and they told us to dial *57 to do a trace. After x amount of traces to the same number they would contact the people. The calls did stop a few days after.

Yeah. I've had that happen to. We once had neighbors that moved, and this guy had a grudge with my father. He would call a few times a week and leave insulting messages, or not be very nice. We finally got fed up, and called our phone company and they said a similar thing. I think on the third trace you can call the police and the phone company can release the information.