Has anyone ever accepted a job offer...

laerz

Aug 5, 2005
I recently signed a job offer for one company but a few days later a better company called me in for an interview. After talking to them, they want to offer me a job with their firm but since I've already signed with another company I'm not sure what to do.

Are there any consequences for breaking the offer I signed with the first company?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
This is what reading your contract is all about. Generally speaking though, other than looking sort of bad in front of the first company you should have no problems.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i'd like to know this as well.

also, what do you do if a company makes you job offer, but you have other interviews lined up? is it ok to say that you have other interviews and you'll get back to them?

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
i accepted an offer, and then another company unexpectedly counter offered....i took the counter offer...i felt really bad about it...but you gotta do whats best for you...

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme

also, what do you do if a company makes you job offer, but you have other interviews lined up? is it ok to say that you have other interviews and you'll get back to them?

As someone who has interviewed and hired underlings before, I would tell you to cram it if you told me this. Of course, I would be professional about it, but you would get the idea.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I've come close before - but the last time that almost happened, it just so happens that 3 different companies made offers the same week so I was able to turn down the other 2 before accepting them.

I think it is better for you to turn it down now before you actually start the job.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearNed

As someone who has interviewed and hired underlings before, I would tell you to cram it if you told me this. Of course, I would be professional about it, but you would get the idea.

so what's the best way to approach the situation? what if you've got 5 interviews lined up and the first one gives you an offer?

it'd be to your advantage to take the next 4 interviews to find the best offer.

can you say you need time to think about it?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
just do it...unless you accepted from microsoft and google countered...you may be attacked by steve ballmer. :p

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002

That is perfectly acceptable. Of course, they can rescind the offer if they need someone right away. Usually an offer will have a 'respond by' date on it. Like everything else about an offer, that is negotiable.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
I was interviewing at tech places my first year of college. Got an offer at Best Buy, accepted, took the drug test. In the few days that followed before I started I got an offer at a much nicer place and accepted that. Dodged the BB calls for a while, then finally told the manager that I got extra financial aid and didn't need a job anymore.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001

so what's the best way to approach the situation? what if you've got 5 interviews lined up and the first one gives you an offer?

I would ask for a little time - tell them you need to discuss it with your family, etc. I don't think I would ask for more than a few days, though. I think it would be a mistake to let a company know that you have interviews with several others and you are looking for the best deal. To me, that would signal that you don't have any real interest in my company, just my company's money and benefits. Since you have no real obligation to fill them in on the details of your job search, it might be best to make them feel like they are the only place you are even considering. I'm not suggesting that you lie to them; I'm just saying that what they don't know won't hurt them (or you).

laerz

Aug 5, 2005
So even though I've signed the offer letter for the first company and sent it in, I'm okay to tell them I don't want to work there anymore? I know this sounds very unproffessional of me, but the second company can offer me much more than the first company.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000

as long as you don't sign the offer I'd say it's okay. If they give you an offer letter just tell them that you have other opportunities that you are currently looking to explore. Ask them that they give a week or so... or even if they have a deadline for the offer letter.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: laerz
So even though I've signed the offer letter for the first company and sent it in, I'm okay to tell them I don't want to work there anymore? I know this sounds very unproffessional of me, but the second company can offer me much more than the first company.

If the 2nd company is a sure thing, then I would do it. Its just business, and it is not in anyone's best interest for you to work at a place you don't want to work. I just wouldn't ever apply to the 1st company with any real hopes of working there in the future.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
you signed an offer, not a contract.. unless you signed a contract, you have no legal obligation to stay there.. if you really want the job at the second company, just go up to your manager and tell him straight up.. he'll either try to get you to stay by offering more, or congratulate you and let you go.. and if he doesn't, he cant' stop you from quitting.. remember, unless you're under a legal and binding contract, you can quit at any time.. and i dont' think an offer is a contract.. only states how much you will be making

sjetexas

Oct 21, 2004
Employment is almost always at-will. You can quit for any reason and companies can fire you for any reason (except discrimination). You can quit, just know that bridge is officially burned.

laerz

Aug 5, 2005
Thanks a bunch everybody. I feel a lot better about the situation and the decision I have to make now. I love ATOT!!!

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I did this with my last job. Accepted an offer from 2 companies, and eventually told one of them I needed to retract my acceptance. Of course this was through a headhunter....needless to say, I will never work for the company I retracted my acceptance on, and I will never be able to use this headhunter.

I don't regret my decision at all since I met my wife where I now work.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: laerz
Thanks a bunch everybody. I feel a lot better about the situation and the decision I have to make now. I love ATOT!!!

:thumbsup:

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
This is what reading your contract is all about. Generally speaking though, other than looking sort of bad in front of the first company you should have no problems.

Exactly, it jus tmakes you look bad. They may have had other people they were considering that they told they weren't intersted because you said Yes so now they'd have to go back and ask one of them to come on which would just be confusing all around. However if the other company offers more, I would just be up front and tell the first company that you just got another job offer that is worth more and hsa better benefits or wahtever and see if they are willing to negotiate at all.