Has anyone driven both the Audi S4 and the Subaru WRX?

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
I test drove the Audi S4 and it's by far one of the nicest cars I've ever driven, but possibly just out of my price range. The fact that they are scarce doesn't help much either.

Can anyone speak of how well the WRX drives in comparison? With both being AWD, I imagine they would be similar, but you also can't really beat German engineering. I want the S4 but unfortunately I think slightly too expensive. Someone please tell me the WRX would be an acceptable replacement? I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping for some good news.

Also, how moddable is the WRX? I know the S4 has a lot of chips available etc, but what about the WRX? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dm

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
The S4 puts out a hella amount of torque but it weighs so much. And the price ranges aren't even comparable...$22.9K to >$40K? That's an incredible price difference and they are not even in the same class.

The WRX handles amazing though. I've driven a WRX but only been in an S4 - the S4 feels as if it really is maybe .3 seconds faster on a 0-60 than the WRX.

The main difference is the interior. The WRX was designed to appeal to an enthusiast market that wanted performance and handling over build quality. The interior feels cheap...cheap like a Camaro. What you are paying for is the fact that it's a 220 HP, 0-60 in 5.5 sec car that can handle turns like you couldn't imagine. The S4 is just a WRX with a slightly bigger engine and a true German interior. True, you can't beat German engineering, but Subaru really has a winner on their hands because you can't beat the WRX performance/price ratio.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
WRX mods: Cobb Tuning

Local for us, too. Mods are a bit expensive given the limited market penetration of Subaru...but that is relative to American F-body mods, not to high-end German ones which would be as much if not more $

Spendthrift

Oct 22, 2001
when one of my best friends was car shopping her and her brother drove both the s4 and the wrx among other cars.

he was incredibly impressed with the performance and handling of the wrx and preferred it to the s4.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
the wrx has a great engine and stuff....

but the interior sucks

badly

Turkey

Jan 10, 2000
i think your situation is fairly common... there are many people lusting after the S4 who own the WRX :). The WRX is very easy and cheap to mod... you can get a manual boost controller (mbc) for $5 to $50 and you will be able to run low to mid 5s 0-60 and high 13s in the 1/4. Then there are various good engine mods out there that go for $70 for an uppipe (I think that's right???) to a couple hundred for a turbo-back exhaust. They won't help the straight-line fast as much as the mbc though. Then you can get new bigger turbos that will spool faster and make you go faster for less than $1k, there are also various manufacturers with stage 0, stage 1, and stage 2 kits for a couple thousand dollars (I don't know what they do but I know they're out there :)). Of course all the supporting engine mods are also available, like bigger fuel injectors and lighter gas tanks.

Then, there's a ton of different full suspensions available but they are relatively pricey, like most full coilovers will go for $1k - $3k (I think). If you don't want to do that, you can easily just upgrade the anti-roll bar for $100 - $200. Wheels are sorta hard to find because Subaru uses a high positive offset (+48 to +53) but there are a variety of competition-grade wheels available if that's what you want. There are a variety of brake kits available for a variety of prices, but you'll have to upgrade to 17" wheels if you want 4 pot calipers.

The weakest part of the whole system is reputed to be the transmission, which supposedly runs into "reliablity problems" when you start pushing 280 hp, whatever that means. But you can easily go from the stock 227 hp to 300 hp or more for just a few thousand dollars. And then you'll have an S4 killer :). Basically the WRX is very easily and relatively cheaply moddable in just about every possible performance aspect.

Although, if you are looking for a killer mod car, the 2.5RS would also be a good choice. 6k less than a WRX, and you can throw a turbo on it for a 2.5L turbo engine that will, when tuned properly, beat a WRX. You can easily replace the brake rotors with the WRX rotors, and maybe the rear differential with a WRX LSD, and you'll be all set.

In the end, mod dollar for mod dollar the S4 will be faster because it has a bigger engine and more turbos, but total dollar for total dollar the WRX would be faster. Though, total dollar for total dollar a motorcycle will be fastest :p.

What about a used S4? Personally I wouldn't buy a used sports car, but it might be the cheap way to the car you're looking for. You could probably get a 2000 S4 for low $30k.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
the wrx has a great engine and stuff....

but the interior sucks

badly

If you care about it. I don't. Performance above all else...if I want heated seats I won't be driving a 220 HP 2.0 l4 that has a road handling suspension, I'd drive a Lexus.

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
Still, the WRX weighs in at over 3000 pounds, though Subaru notes that it has a better power to weight ratio than even the sporty Audi S4.

Just found this quote on a review of the WRX. Pretty impressive. The S4 is SO DAMN NICE though. I drove one and am still impressed by what I found. I guess I'll just have to test drive a WRX to see for myself.

Honestly I am looking to spend around $30k, so yes a 2000 S4 would work for me, but finding them is very difficult. My timetable is like, I want a car now, but I want to wait 1-2 months to see what I can find in the way of a 2000 S4, or if I want to go with a new WRX. Such confusing decisions.

dm

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
well i don't know about you, but i can't afford to have both a weekend driver and a dailiy driver

i mean it's great that you can have this all godly performing car, but if you have to drive it every singel day, you'd like it to be somewhat comfortable

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
It is comfortable. The WRX seats are amazing and truly among the best I've sat in. But whether they are cloth or leather makes no difference...they are racing seats. The suspension is rally-inspired so of course if you hit rough road you're going to feel it. But the attention to detail on the interior is what is missing...it is cheap plastic, but "comfort" to me is defined by how my ass feels in the seat and not whether the clock is trimmed with wood, you know?

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
After reading that comparo between the S4, WRX, and the BMW I'm pretty sold on this WRX idea. Yes, the S4's interior appointments are much nicer. Yes the exterior styling on the S4 is some of the sleekest out there, and yes, it is one of my favorite cars of all time, but no I really cannot afford it. I'm hoping I can find a good deal on a WRX locally, and if I can find the right one and it's comfortable and fun to drive, I just might get one.

Thanks for all your input guys, you gave me some great insight.

dm