Has Anyone Bought an Open Box Motherboard from NewEgg?

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
I'm thinking about buying an open box board from NewEgg & I'm wondering if they're only going to ship the bare board. I know their message indicates you'll only receive the board, but I'm curious as to your actual experience. Did you receive everything, or did you only receive the board?

Thanks.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I've bought about 12 newegg open box boards, and none came with all the accessories. Some had the manual or driver cd. Only one failed after 4 days. I recommend if you order one to put in an rma request the minute you receive the board. Newegg will then give about 30 days to return it. For the rma reason, simply say the board won't post. If you don't use the rma, it will expire in about 30 days. Be sure to install the board immediately and not let it sit around.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
Originally posted by: o1die
I've bought about 12 newegg open box boards, and none came with all the accessories. Some had the manual or driver cd. Only one failed after 4 days. I recommend if you order one to put in an rma request the minute you receive the board. Newegg will then give about 30 days to return it. For the rma reason, simply say the board won't post. If you don't use the rma, it will expire in about 30 days. Be sure to install the board immediately and not let it sit around.

Thanks for the reply. That's good advice & I definitely wouldn't let it sit around. The cool thing is I only live about 20 minutes from the ASUS facility in Fremont. I've had to RMA a couple boards before & it was a piece of cake. I just drop off my current board & pick up a refurbished one. Never had a problem with an ASUS refurb & I love their service.

I always spend a few minutes shootin' the breeze with their techs while I'm waiting to get the refurb board. They always look & smell brand spankin' new too.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I've gotten five or six open box boards from New Egg as well as a couple of video cards and a hard drive. All of them have had all of the accessories, manuals and drivers. Only one motherboard didn't actually work, everything else has been what I would consider a good purchase.
-Brett

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Purchased an "open box" Gigabyte 965 board from Newegg recently.
Bare board only (inside an anti-static bag); no box, I/O plate, or any other accessories were included.
The board works fine.
Gigabyte charges $9 (shipped) for a replacement I/O plate.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I bought an open box(actually I think they called it a white box back then) ASUS board from them and it came in a plain white box and no accessories but worked fine and continues to work fine to this day in one of my servers.